Demister

BitOrange

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. Just registered as I have a question.
I have been driving an MG5 for over 2 years and loved it. The one thing that spoils the experience is having to demist the windscreen over and over again when driving after any rainfall.
Is this a common experience amongst other drivers and is there any tweak to improve the situation?
Grateful for any comments.

Forget the air conditioning and use this ... works a treat ... applied to inside of windscreen and side windows, never needed to use aircon to de-mist, except in the most extreme cases. I was sceptical, but it has to be seen to be believed :cool:

Rain-X.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been driving an MG5 for over 2 years and loved it. The one thing that spoils the experience is having to demist the windscreen over and over again when driving after any rainfall.
Is this a common experience amongst other drivers and is there any tweak to improve the situation?
Do you have the system set on recirc or auto? set to air from outside and problem should disapear.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Robf.
Good advice. I've just found a useful old thread from Dec 2021 on this problem so will try to avoid recirculating the same moist air!

Use the air conditioning and leave it on.
Thanks for your advice.

Forget the air conditioning and use this ... works at treat ... applied to inside of windscreen and side windows, never needed to use aircon to de-mist, except in the most extreme cases. I was sceptical, but it has to be seen to be believed :cool:

View attachment 20676
OK, Tommy, thanks. Another weapon in the battle for clear vision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi
Part of the problem is the build up of moister on floor mats and wet coats
Unlike the heater in the ICE cars the air does not always get warm enough to remove the moister content from the air in the car.
My simple trick is to put a few small dehumidifier packs in each of the rear door pockets (ones from local B&M fitted).
When they fill with water I just change them.

Upvote 0
It's common to many electric cars, as Fokmg says it's down to not having a hot engine :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, 5teep. Are you suggesting that, in EVs, the A/C and fan (directed at the windscreen) must remain on at all times to prevent constant fogging of the windscreen in cold/wet conditions? Robf also suggests making sure that the moist air is not recirculated. Makes sense.
I'll give it a go, although it's hardly cold and wet in SE England today.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Upvote 0
I have problems every winter with windows misting. I'll give that rain-ex anti fog a go but experience with Rainx on the outside is it doesn't last and the rain drops are very distracting running up the glass lol.
I'm also experimenting with a usb powered fan pointing at the glass to see if airflow helps keep the misting down.

Upvote 0
I have problems every winter with windows misting. I'll give that rain-ex anti fog a go but experience with Rainx on the outside is it doesn't last and the rain drops are very distracting running up the glass lol.
I'm also experimenting with a usb powered fan pointing at the glass to see if airflow helps keep the misting down.
It’s really amazing what a difference it (Rain-X anti-fog) makes. I was totally impressed … and no I have no affiliation to them 😉

Upvote 0
I also find it's not particularly effective in eco mode, but even in normal you might have to use the rapid front screen demister switch occasionally.

Upvote 0
Curious as to why a USB powered fan when obviously the car comes with one built in (don't need to have AC on), and both would be using the 12v.

Upvote 0
Hi
Whilst i tend to drive in Eco mode all the time I do use the Auto aircon all the time.
If it is raining i find if I press and cancel the eco mode for the air conn I have very few problems.
If misting starts to get bad i hit the screen demist button and let the mist clear and return back to auto. I sometimes have 3 damp dogs in the back and manage to keep things clear.
Still get between 3 to 5.3 miles/kw.
I live in a very damp hilly part of West Wales so I know what the problem can be like

Upvote 0
Mine improved considerably once I removed the tapes covering the drainage holes in the bottom doors that got left there after the PDI. I also use dehumidifier packs on the dash in the winter months.

Upvote 0
Curious as to why a USB powered fan when obviously the car comes with one built in (don't need to have AC on), and both would be using the 12v.

Switching the onboard fan on uses more power. I actually bought the fan for the rear windscreen as it mists up and stays that way unless I use the screen heater all the time.

Upvote 0
The demister fan uses a trivial amount of electricity. I'd guess around 20 watts, which could run for 50 hours on 1kWh.

Upvote 0
I use shaving foam, works a treat.

Put a big dollop on a clean microfibre cloth and start rubbing over the windows (inside). Just keep rubbing until the foam is all buffed in.

Last about 2-3 weeks and is perfect, no missing at all, even with 5 of us in the car after a wet Sunday football match.
Even stops condensation after a cold night, turn on the wipers and everything is completely clear.

Upvote 0
As RobF
As RobF said make sure you are not on recirculation because yesterday I was behind a smelly diesel van so I put my aircon on recirculation but forgot and the windows kept steaming up so I switched off recirculation and problem solved.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom