Did I buy the long range?

natta

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

I just bought what I believe is the long range exclusive MG5 61.1kwh I picked it up the other day, I don’t seem to be getting near the advertised range this could just be my driving and I haven’t had too much time in it yet but, I was just wondering if there is any physical difference between the standard range and the long range that I could look for to double check that I in fact have the long range? I know I have lane assistance and I believe I have the adaptive cruise control but were these available for the SR MG5 as an add on?
Any advice would be appreciated 👍

When you have done a charge and battery balance to 100% with it in Eco mode and kers3, heating all off what does the GOM say?

I will start Charging it now, what should I be looking for on GOM?

Easiest way to check is to look at the colour of the ends of the stalks that operate the cruise control and indicators. On the long range MG5 they will be light blue as in the picture since MG Pilot is installed.

1634385256424.png

Hi all,

I just bought what I believe is the long range exclusive MG5 61.1kwh I picked it up the other day, I don’t seem to be getting near the advertised range this could just be my driving and I haven’t had too much time in it yet but, I was just wondering if there is any physical difference between the standard range and the long range that I could look for to double check that I in fact have the long range? I know I have lane assistance and I believe I have the adaptive cruise control but were these available for the SR MG5 as an add on?
What exactly do you mean by 'getting near the advertised range'?
How are you measuring it?

The car under reports the efficiency, especially over multiple short journeys. So you really need to look at the number of miles you're actually covering in relation to the battery percentage used. Definitely don't just look at the estimated range (GOM).

I'm noticing a drop in efficiency when it's cold. It's a compound effect of the battery becoming less efficient at colder temperatures (optimal is around 23 degrees) and having to use the heating (runs at around 4kW at peak). There may also be some battery heating kicking in.

The advertised range is more of a hypothetical maximum under controlled conditions. It is possible to exceed it if you drive extremely efficiently in ideal conditions. But it's much easier to be less than optimal, especially if it's cold, wet, windy or you're driving fast.

Thanks for all your reply’s, going from the photos I do have the blue stalks, I think I’m getting around 200 range, currently done 194.3 @ 3.7 kWh so maybe there is a little more range, I haven’t been using the heating but the weather has been bad recently and I have been driving at 70mph . Realistically what range should this get ?

Thanks for all your reply’s, going from the photos I do have the blue stalks, I think I’m getting around 200 range, currently done 194.3 @ 3.7 kWh so maybe there is a little more range, I haven’t been using the heating but the weather has been bad recently and I have been driving at 70mph . Realistically what range should this get ?

My standard range gets generally 210-215 (or has been until the weather got cold) So your LR should get considerably more. Don't worry too much early on though, you are probably still getting used to the car and how it drives.

I have an Exclusive standard range. Durdling gently round the lanes of Norfolk I'm getting Distance gone + GOM estimate for the remainder of 240-250 miles, measured at ca. 200 miles traveled.

I generally drive in Normal or Eco mode with KERS 3 and (generally) avoid treading to hard on the loud pedal. As weedavemac says, 70mph will reduce the range significantly. I tend not to use the air con if the weather is OK but 90% or more of my usage is local (Typically 50-60 miles round trip is a long one).

Another soak of power is driving in rain, as the tyres need to continually pump kg's of water out of the way.

70mph will use roughly 40% more energy than covering the same distance at 50mph. 250 miles of range becomes 178 miles. Then factor in the cooler weather.

70mph will use roughly 40% more energy than covering the same distance at 50mph. 250 miles of range becomes 178 miles. Then factor in the cooler weather.
I think most agree 60/65mph is a reasonable compromise on speed/range.

Hi all,

The Square Black Radar Sensor below the number plate will indicate it is a MG 5 Long Range

Drove my LR back from York on the M1 in the rain today. Range was very much reduced, but I had AC, lights, windscreen wipers - the lot. I would have been lucky to get 150 miles off a full charge I think.

Drove my LR back from York on the M1 in the rain today. Range was very much reduced, but I had AC, lights, windscreen wipers - the lot. I would have been lucky to get 150 miles off a full charge I think.
Ouch! Starting to worry now, from what I'd previously read I'd budgeted for 200 miles on the LR but 150 😯

What speeds were you traveling at?

Ouch! Starting to worry now, from what I'd previously read I'd budgeted for 200 miles on the LR but 150 😯

What speeds were you traveling at?
I wasn’t hanging about but driving to the conditions, so I think that the trip average speed was 63mph.

Previously I did Milton Keynes to Hexham with just one charge on route so not all bad. There seem to be so many variables to affect range so going with the flow is key.

Stormgrey - I wonder if you would mind adding a photo of the “square black radar sensor below the number plate” as I am curious to see what you are referring to - many thanks Mike

Stormgrey - I wonder if you would mind adding a photo of the “square black radar sensor below the number plate” as I am curious to see what you are referring to - many thanks Mike
I assume he means this part, that's not on the SR model, if you go on the configurator and swap between the two you can see it pop in and out on the image

Capture.PNG

Not sure if mentioned above, but the transparent triangle on the outside near the rear view mirror area is the camera which is part of the MG Pilot pack too, indicating the Long Range model.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom