Display Night Time Level

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone come across the same glitch I did tonight?

I came out to the car after dark and switched on as normal. I started to drive away, headlights on, when I noticed that the main infotainment display seemed a bit bright. Even changing to the navigation screen, the display was still at full on daylight brightness. I could hardly see out the windscreen and my back seat passengers were now puzzled by my earlier statement to them that there was no light in the rear. The whole car was lit up inside by the display screen!

I stopped, powered down and back up again, but the bright screen stayed, well, bright. I managed to get home, seriously thinking about putting my sunglasses on, and powered the car down again. Powering up, still daylight brightness. I got out of the car, locked it then unlocked it before powering up again, and lo and behold, night time brightness back.

Seems the old IT adage of "switch it off then back on again" is still relevant!!

I came out to the car after dark and switched on as normal. I started to drive away, headlights on, when I noticed that the main infotainment display seemed a bit bright. Even changing to the navigation screen, the display was still at full on daylight brightness. I could hardly see out the windscreen and my back seat passengers were now puzzled by my earlier statement to them that there was no light in the rear. The whole car was lit up inside by the display screen!

I stopped, powered down and back up again, but the bright screen stayed, well, bright. I managed to get home, seriously thinking about putting my sunglasses on, and powered the car down again. Powering up, still daylight brightness. I got out of the car, locked it then unlocked it before powering up again, and lo and behold, night time brightness back.

Seems the old IT adage of "switch it off then back on again" is still relevant!!
It might be worth following that adage even further and disconnecting the 12v battery for 5 minutes before reconnecting so the software gets to boot up in the right order.
I know my laptop's performance improves if I restart it every now and again instead of just leaving it in stand-by.

My MG4 SE SR the day time and night time brightness are the same 🤔 not independent like it is in our MG ZS EV MK1.

So other people have two brightness levels...

My MG4 SE SR the day time and night time brightness are the same 🤔 not independent like it is in our MG ZS EV MK1.

So other people have two brightness levels...
Yep. Normally (is there such a thing as normality with this car?!), the display switches to a lower light level, and the sat nav page goes into dark scheme, when the headlights are on.

Yep. Normally (is there such a thing as normality with this car?!), the display switches to a lower light level, and the sat nav page goes into dark scheme, when the headlights are on.
Ah you have the trophy might be a discrepancy between the SE and Trophy software

It goes to dark theme but the brightness level doesn't seem to change
Swipe down top right of the screen , should be menu where you can reduce the brightness.
I have a Trophy may be same on SE

Swipe down top right of the screen , should be menu where you can reduce the brightness.
I have a Trophy may be same on SE
Oh yeah I can change the brightness but what ever i set it to in dark mode is then used by the daytime mode and vice versa, there's no separate brightness control like I have on our MG ZS EV MK1

IF this is whilst using Google maps? Then flip the lights off and back on and Google maps will slip from day into night time mode and you can take the welding goggles off.

I've an SE with only one brightness level but the infotainment is always connected to Android Auto. Spooked the hell out of us on our first night time drive. Now it's just a reflex action to flip the lights - hope that helps.

I found maps in daylight mode on minimum brightness was still far too distracting

I have noticed even if I have the display brightness set to the lowest… it isn’t necessarily the lowest next time. If you swipe down on the Home Screen and increase the brightness then decrease it to minimum again it will go darker than it was.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back