distance/battery anxiety

dale

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
hi guys ,love the car mg5 had it a year now and only used a granny charger at home does everything I need .
but now my son has asked me to pick him up at Manchester airport which is 130 miles from me... so no problem I can get there but will need a charge to get back home .
so using zapmap app ... I have looked for somewhere to charge at or near the airport . some chargers seem to want me sign my life away and also need a rfid device, which my phone does not have
so plan A is knutsford service station an hour or 2 before pickup and use BP pulse which I believe you can use with my contactless card
would prefer a 100% charge but that seems as if it will take forever.
any thoughts or advice please
ps merry Xmas

You shouldn't need a 100% charge even in an SR as you don't need to get home with much charge left.
What networks are on your way home?
On zapmap you can select contactless as a payment option

Set off early and top up charge before heading to the airport, that will give you leeway to find another charger if you need to.
My MG5 Standard is getting around 160 miles in current ~zero deg temperatures.

First question is yours a SR or a LR ? it would help with creating a plan.
Secondly forget the anxiety, or at least try to, the car and you will be fine. Your first long trip is always an adventure so treat it that way not as something to be feared.
Have you read any of the other threads re first trips by others ?

First question is yours a SR or a LR ? it would help with creating a plan.
Secondly forget the anxiety, or at least try to, the car and you will be fine. Your first long trip is always an adventure so treat it that way not as something to be feared.
Have you read any of the other threads re first trips by others ?
not sure ... it is supposed to have a range of 214 miles ,and to be fair i appear to get 2 miles per 1% as a rough guide . but driving to Leeds and back last week 130 miles it was not doing as well ,but lights /demisting/heating / wipers were all on the whole journey ... this is the worry to Manchester and back if the weather is cold wet and it will be in the dark
have looked a threads and youtube videos and seems to be mixed bag of good n bad

That would be the SR then.
Personally I would charge near the destination before arrival, this would then mean a pleasant non-stress return once you have picked up your passenger.

I find knowing I've got enough charge to make it home with some wiggle room means it's not playing on my mind towards the end of my visit , nobody really wants to start thinking 'I should leave now as if I can't find a working rapid, I'll have to use a fast charger and then my time to get home is x longer' etc..

hi guys ,love the car mg5 had it a year now and only used a granny charger at home does everything I need .
but now my son has asked me to pick him up at Manchester airport which is 130 miles from me... so no problem I can get there but will need a charge to get back home .
so using zapmap app ... I have looked for somewhere to charge at or near the airport . some chargers seem to want me sign my life away and also need a rfid device, which my phone does not have
so plan A is knutsford service station an hour or 2 before pickup and use BP pulse which I believe you can use with my contactless card
would prefer a 100% charge but that seems as if it will take forever.
any thoughts or advice please
ps merry Xmas
Here's a plan that will work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-120037.png
    Screenshot_20221211-120037.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
not sure ... it is supposed to have a range of 214 miles ,and to be fair i appear to get 2 miles per 1% as a rough guide . but driving to Leeds and back last week 130 miles it was not doing as well ,but lights /demisting/heating / wipers were all on the whole journey ... this is the worry to Manchester and back if the weather is cold wet and it will be in the dark
have looked a threads and youtube videos and seems to be mixed bag of good n bad
OK, as @Lguk said it's an SR. The 2 miles per 1% is right for not cold driving but as you have seen cold, wet and heating will diminish that.
You have just had an outing (Leeds and back) that is probably your worst case scenario weather wise and trip length the same as you trip to Manchester airport, so what % did you have left when you got home on your Leeds trip. This you can use as a guide to what you will have when arriving at the airport. Then we can make a best stop(s) plan.

As this is your first trip 'beyond range' pick up on all the clues you can from your experiences and try to apply them. First tip, although I'm sure you are aware is that apart from the cold, speed is the big range killer so stick to 65mph tops when on the A1 and M62. I used to travel at 80ish in my old ICE but have found that 65 in the MG5 feels pretty quick anyway.

OK, as @Lguk said it's an SR. The 2 miles per 1% is right for not cold driving but as you have seen cold, wet and heating will diminish that.
You have just had an outing (Leeds and back) that is probably your worst case scenario weather wise and trip length the same as you trip to Manchester airport, so what % did you have left when you got home on your Leeds trip. This you can use as a guide to what you will have when arriving at the airport. Then we can make a best stop(s) plan.

As this is your first trip 'beyond range' pick up on all the clues you can from your experiences and try to apply them. First tip, although I'm sure you are aware is that apart from the cold, speed is the big range killer so stick to 65mph tops when on the A1 and M62. I used to travel at 80ish in my old ICE but have found that 65 in the MG5 feels pretty quick anyway.
cheers for that ....

Here's a plan that will work
yes ... looking at zapmap , I think I might use birch services on the m62 on the way there and probably to make sure on the way back what sort of time does it take to "fill" say 50% ?

If you have a 50kWh battery and you want to add 50% that is half the battery so 25kW on the 50kW charger would take 30 minutes (all rough figures obviously)

If you have a 50kWh battery and you want to add 50% that is half the battery so 25kW on the 50kW charger would take 30 minutes (all rough figures obviously)
Not sure if it's just me but I find DC charging to be a lot slower in zero temps. I DC charge a lot and this last couple of weeks I'm lucky to get 32kwph from a 50kw charger, no matter which one I'm using.

yes ... looking at zapmap , I think I might use birch services on the m62 on the way there and probably to make sure on the way back what sort of time does it take to "fill" say 50% ?
Good choice, but have a look for a plan B in case of, well.. anything. If you have sufficient on your way back when you are approaching Birch maybe consider going on to Hartshead Moor services or even pushing it to Wetherby Services. I would have mentioned Leeds Skelton Lake but that is Ionity and would require using the app or an Electric Universe card.
The closer you get to home the easier you can judge how little you need to put in to get you there with say 10% left
P.S. The M62 climb over the top heading to Manchester is relentless and sucks the battery hard with only one long downhill to regen, use KERS1 going down, in fact all the way on the M62 apart from when in heavy traffic. On the return that one hill back up just maintain a steady speed, there are more, smaller opportunities to regen coming back down heading east.
I've done the route several times and it can be disturbing but taken over the whole journey it will evenish out. :)

P.S.Forgot to mention the Bobbin Carrier pub right on J26 of the M62. Take the A58 exit of Mway roundabout and turn immediately right opposite The Hunsworth Brewers Fayre onto Centurian way. 2 Osprey chargers there so a good backup

1670842154362.png

Last edited:
Good choice, but have a look for a plan B in case of, well.. anything. If you have sufficient on your way back when you are approaching Birch maybe consider going on to Hartshead Moor services or even pushing it to Wetherby Services. I would have mentioned Leeds Skelton Lake but that is Ionity and would require using the app or an Electric Universe card.
The closer you get to home the easier you can judge how little you need to put in to get you there with say 10% left
P.S. The M62 climb over the top heading to Manchester is relentless and sucks the battery hard with only one long downhill to regen, use KERS1 going down, in fact all the way on the M62 apart from when in heavy traffic. On the return that one hill back up just maintain a steady speed, there are more, smaller opportunities to regen coming back down heading east.
I've done the route several times and it can be disturbing but taken over the whole journey it will evenish out. :)

P.S.Forgot to mention the Bobbin Carrier pub right on J26 of the M62. Take the A58 exit of Mway roundabout and turn immediately right opposite The Hunsworth Brewers Fayre onto Centurian way. 2 Osprey chargers there so a good backup

View attachment 13584
" noted " cheers matey

Well at first stop Birch services. 106 miles 52% used.... Found charger plugged in swiped card bought coffee now 30 mins already at 83%
Anxiety what's thats ,thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_20221215_155907.jpg
    IMG_20221215_155907.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 84
Well at first stop Birch services. 106 miles 52% used.... Found charger plugged in swiped card bought coffee now 30 mins already at 83%
Anxiety what's thats ,thanks all
But........did you get home :)

well pleased how it all worked out .... might venture further a field now
thanks again

well pleased how it all worked out .... might venture further a field now
thanks again
Pleased to hear it. Once you've done it once the anxiety goes, a bit like............

Set off early and top up charge before heading to the airport, that will give you leeway to find another charger if you need to.
My MG5 Standard is getting around 160 miles in current ~zero deg temperatures.
Agree 160 max in these freezing conditions.... I was getting nearly 300 in the Summer!! Amazing the difference the cold weather makes.

Use Rainex on the windscreen and Rainex antifog on the inside to reduce misting up, that will save a bit of battery for you. When travelling longer distances try to plan a Rapid charge for when you expect to be at 30 to 40% left and then charge up to 80% as the charge rate really slows down when you get to 80%. It is also a good idea to have a back-up plan with possible charge points before and after your planned ones just in case you use up more than you expect or there is a problem or a queue at the planned one. I have the mk1 ZS EV and I usedd to look at all the chargers on route and make a note of what my remaining range should be at each one. My wife now has a a LR ZS so I no longer need to do that as we use her car for longer trips

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom