distance/battery anxiety

hi guys ,love the car mg5 had it a year now and only used a granny charger at home does everything I need .
but now my son has asked me to pick him up at Manchester airport which is 130 miles from me... so no problem I can get there but will need a charge to get back home .
so using zapmap app ... I have looked for somewhere to charge at or near the airport . some chargers seem to want me sign my life away and also need a rfid device, which my phone does not have
so plan A is knutsford service station an hour or 2 before pickup and use BP pulse which I believe you can use with my contactless card
would prefer a 100% charge but that seems as if it will take forever.
any thoughts or advice please
ps merry Xmas
There should be fast chargers at above so 50mins to hour to charge.

well pleased how it all worked out .... might venture further a field now
thanks again
I have done th SE London to Aberystwyth trip a few times in my 5 SR and have never had a problem charging. The drive through the Brecons on electric is lovely and quiet.

The RainX idea for side windows is great but I would never use it on the windscreen outside. I find the rain travelling up the windscreen to be very distracting.

I have had charger anxiety.
On a journey of 300 miles started of in minus 9c and stayed in negative values for the first 150 miles which crippled my range. Stopped at Gridserve for a top up internal fault showed up on charger tried phoning Gridserve gave up after being put thru to the engineers they didn't answer as they were busy.
Went to the next services Gridserve one broken others busy with people waiting.
Eventually found an Osprey charger off the motorway and it worked. Second charge same again Gridserve one broken other one busy so went off the motorway to Shell garage plugged in that didn't work phoned them and although apologetic Allego told me that charger doesn't work. Went back on the motorway and fortunately the next services Gridserve was available and working. Not a very enjoyable day.

I did the same Manchester airport run on Friday to pick up my son. A180, m18 m62 6 am freezing, 260 miles round trip. Preheated battery and car while plugged in with 91% charge. We stopped at hartshead moor eastbound for a breakfast bun and coffee while topping up to @95% at one of the apple green chargers at end of the Tesla charging row. nice to see another bank of chargers being installed behind them. Through to airport then topped up at the Tesla chargers to @90% in Trafford centre before running back 130 miles non stop. Heater on, 70mph. Both chargers were fine and we got back with 35% charge left. Compared with the previous iD3 heat pump it was more noticeable drain with heating on to defrost windows on m62. It was cold.

The RainX idea for side windows is great but I would never use it on the windscreen outside. I find the rain travelling up the windscreen to be very distracting.
I’ve used it for many years and it’s something you get used to after a while, particularly as you should really be focusing past the windscreen on the road ahead!

I did the same Manchester airport run on Friday to pick up my son. A180, m18 m62 6 am freezing, 260 miles round trip. Preheated battery and car while plugged in with 91% charge. We stopped at hartshead moor eastbound for a breakfast bun and coffee while topping up to @95% at one of the apple green chargers at end of the Tesla charging row. nice to see another bank of chargers being installed behind them. Through to airport then topped up at the Tesla chargers to @90% in Trafford centre before running back 130 miles non stop. Heater on, 70mph. Both chargers were fine and we got back with 35% charge left. Compared with the previous iD3 heat pump it was more noticeable drain with heating on to defrost windows on m62. It was cold.
What did you pay per kWh for your rapid charging?

hi guys ,love the car mg5 had it a year now and only used a granny charger at home does everything I need .
but now my son has asked me to pick him up at Manchester airport which is 130 miles from me... so no problem I can get there but will need a charge to get back home .
so using zapmap app ... I have looked for somewhere to charge at or near the airport . some chargers seem to want me sign my life away and also need a rfid device, which my phone does not have
so plan A is knutsford service station an hour or 2 before pickup and use BP pulse which I believe you can use with my contactless card
would prefer a 100% charge but that seems as if it will take forever.
any thoughts or advice please
ps merry Xmas
Had the same issue from Norfolk to Manchester. In the summer fine, a charge at Gridserve A47 Norwich then one at ferrybride off the a1 before joining the m62. This weeks journey back we had to top up three times (still on the A47) but at InstaVolt behind the coop garage. Took us 8 hours to get home including having to queue on the A1. Was this the biggest dodo we ever bought. We know how you feel.

I'd normally preplan longer journeys for rapid charging at 30% and look for a Podpoint at Lidl or Tesco away from motorways to get to 80%. I use Zapmap which is okay but is a bit clumsy.

Don't assume large towns in densely populated areas have decent chargers. For example Aylesbury is rubbish for rapid chargers. I normally granny charge at parents overnight but mine failed last weekend and ended up with sub 20% in sub zero temperatures desperately looking for a decent charger. Ended up going 10 miles to Westcott for a Genie Point at 30p/kwh.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom