DIY V2L

would the granny need to see an earth of some sort?🤔
That's a good point I am sure someone said the car had reverse the polarity as well the charger may not like that but there was that you tube video showing the car charging off a temporary battery pack with about 1 mile of cable 🤣🤣

would the granny need to see an earth of some sort?🤔
Yes, that's likely a problem. Same with the Rivian truck trying to charge another EV.

The "reverse polarity fault" is just the missing earth; the only difference between a neutral and an active is that the neutral is connected somewhere to earth.

It has been suggested this is achievable, but it would be nice to see confirmation @Gadget Geek ?.

That was my point.
Would be nice to think you could help out another EV friend, if you possibly could !.
While i agree, just remember that 2500 watt = 4% per hour at best so unless you are very patient, it might take hours for the flat car, to have enough juice to make it to a charger.

So, it appears you can charge another EV via the V2L cable and suitable Granny lead.
Thanks John.
Nice 👍!.

While i agree, just remember that 2500 watt = 4% per hour at best so unless you are very patient, it might take hours for the flat car, to have enough juice to make it to a charger.
Thanks, but it still could be quicker that waiting for a flat bed to arrive 🤣.
I guess it depends how far away from the charger you are, when you run out !.
I wonder how many people have actually run out of juice about half a mile away from a charger.
Too far to push it, that’s for sure !.

Rather than risk a diy I just bought one of these.
If i make my own adaptor out of a used EV charging cable, how is it "risky" to do it myself.

I mean, the cable and connector will be more than capable of handling the load, and the rest is a resistor.

The "Apparantly not risky" cable you bought is in no way different than one i can buy at a crazy marked up price from that dealer.

If i make my own adaptor out of a used EV charging cable, how is it "risky" to do it myself.
Probably not too risky I admit. However by the time I'd bought a "bare" Type 2 cable plus 3 pin socket the saving wasn't great so I opted for the easy option of getting a ready made one. Still cheaper than official MG adapter.

Probably not too risky I admit. However by the time I'd bought a "bare" Type 2 cable plus 3 pin socket the saving wasn't great so I opted for the easy option of getting a ready made one. Still cheaper than official MG adapter.
Yeah, the V2L adaptor is costing silly money from MG.

I checked the other day, and in Denmark the price of this adaptor has been raised, and now sits at a whopping £560 which is insane.

And of course sometimes we opt to pay for convenience :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the V2L adaptor is costing silly money from MG.

I checked the other day, and in Denmark the price of this adaptor has been raised, and now sits at a whopping £560 which is insane.

And offcourse sometimes we opt to pay for conveniense :)
So far it has cost me £57.32 and about an hour of my time to make my own. Mind you, I don't know if it works yet. :)

Rather than risk a diy I just bought one of these.

Excellent. I did similar and it came in a nice carrier bag as well.

440636A7-2E77-43E2-97C4-AE67733A42D7.jpeg

I made the mistake of buying a donor type 2 cable that's got the plugs industrially moulded on.
I decided to remove the male plug first as an experiment and it took me hours, and pretty much destroyed it.
I think I can do a much better job at getting the female end accessible to swap the resistor out, but I'm definitely regretting my marketplace impulse buy now!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom