Do I need a CCS cable for rapid charging?

Fireman frog

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of getting an mg 5. As far as I can tell, it will come with a granny cable but not a type 2 to type 2 charging cable.

Like most new EV drivers, my main concerns are around range anxiety. If I want to take advantage of rapid charging at an extortionate motorway service station, do I need to buy a CCS cable? The type 2 cables that I've looked at state a maximum charge of 7kwh.

Or do most CCS chargers come with a tethered cable?

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks

All rapid chargers have tethered cables you only need a type 2 for home charging if you can’t survive with the granny cable of for 7 KWh or 22 KWh charging units like you get at Tesco..

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of getting an mg 5. As far as I can tell, it will come with a granny cable but not a type 2 to type 2 charging cable.

Like most new EV drivers, my main concerns are around range anxiety. If I want to take advantage of rapid charging at an extortionate motorway service station, do I need to buy a CCS cable? The type 2 cables that I've looked at state a maximum charge of 7kwh.

Or do most CCS chargers come with a tethered cable?

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks
How much daily mileage do you really do in the normal world?

Ah okay, just remember that the range quoted is in good weather conditions, during the winter in temperatures of about 2 - 3 degrees you will loose, like with all EV’s about 30-40 miles of range, just take that in to consideration when buying an EV. However the MG5 is about the best value model on the market for miles against the pound...

Thank you. Do do you know if I need to buy a CCS cable to use rapid charging? Or do the rapid chargers all come with a tethered CCS cable? It can you rapid charge through a type 2 cable? Cheers

Thank you. Do do you know if I need to buy a CCS cable to use rapid charging? Or do the rapid chargers all come with a tethered CCS cable? It can you rapid charge through a type 2 cable? Cheers
All rapid chargers have the charging cable attached to the charger, you do not need a cable for rapid charging. 👍

All rapid chargers come with their own cable.. but some are Chademo only so just check... With regards to rapid charging from your type 2...it is possible but the MG can only accept 6.9kW charging so rapid charging even if you charge it from , say, a 40kW rapid charger with your type 2 then you will only get 6.9kW going in

All rapid chargers come with their own cable.. but some are Chademo only so just check... With regards to rapid charging from your type 2...it is possible but the MG can only accept 6.9kW charging so rapid charging even if you charge it from , say, a 40kW rapid charger with your type 2 then you will only get 6.9kW going in
6.6kW - but this is right and a very important point. The only connector that can give you a rapid charge is CCS.

If you’re on the motorway, plan in advance and look for somewhere to charge nearby rather than relying on Ecotricity at motorway services. They’re very problematic, as I found out first hand yesterday. InstaVolt is now my #1 choice for rapid charging - they appear to be dependable beyond all others.

Hi Fireman.
I guess by your name here that you are a firefighter! And I guess you probably always have a firehoze with you in the firetruck!
So I hope you can see where I am getting with this.
Always bring a type 2 cable with you, they don't cost you that very much, and then it just make you feel more relaxed.

You would use a type 2 cable for fast (7kw) charging at one of the chargers you find at supermarkets. Often free. So you'd park, plug your cable in and go shop for an hour or two (at least) to get decent range added to your car.

You would use a type 2 cable for fast (7kw) charging at one of the chargers you find at supermarkets. Often free. So you'd park, plug your cable in and go shop for an hour or two (at least) to get decent range added to your car.
Not all Type 2 are 7kW (or 22kW). The PodPoints at my local Sainsburys are just 3kW unfortunately.

Not all Type 2 are 7kW (or 22kW). The PodPoints at my local Sainsburys are just 3kW unfortunately.
I’m going to ignore 3kw chargers as they are useless and nobody should consider them as viable public charging solutions. Nobody can park in the car park and shop for long enough.

Dorset Council have teamed up with an external body and have started replacing and adding new charge points to all their existing charging locations. So all the old go to be replaced with Type 2 22kW and some extra ones too.

The next phase is to roll out chargers to the car parks that currently don't have that facility.

They aren't free to use of course, there aren't enough to cope with the probable ramp up in demand and they need to address on-street charging big time but at least it's progress in the right direction.

Wonder if anyone can help ...the last 3 times Ive tried to fast charge the car (on different units) but the charger shows "Error" ??? today happened again so I just used the type 2 but soooo slow :-(
My fault or is it a car system fault - also charge on my home charger without any probs ???

Wonder if anyone can help ...the last 3 times Ive tried to fast charge the car (on different units) but the charger shows "Error" ??? today happened again so I just used the type 2 but soooo slow :-(
My fault or is it a car system fault - also charge on my home charger without any probs ???
Try again and if you have an issue call the support number on the charging unit and the support team should be able to assist you in the first instance.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom