Do MG dealerships help each other out on car stock?

ernie hudds

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Do MG dealers work with each other to get cars to other dealerships to help out any shortfalls. Or do they closely guard the cars they have and not let them leave to another MG dealership?

I'm not saying that this is the case nowadays but when I was in the business we were able to see what vehicles other dealers had in stock , We would often be able to do swaps or have a vehicle transferred to our stock.
The most convoluted I did was when I was at Mazda. A dealer in Telford had the car that i wanted. but I didn't have a car he wanted. I had a car that a dealer in Cambridge wanted and the Dealer in Cambridge had a car that the guy in Telford wanted. My boss said I could do the deal but would have to organise the swaps. We had a low loader so I drove it halfway round the country. That was a long day!

My father used to work for Kennings which sold British Leyland cars and as Nick Heynes said they used to know what each dealer had in stock and do swaps.
Now it appears that each dealer works independently.

I think dealers would sooner have their teeth pulled out, than offer a car to another rival dealer these days 🤣.
If it’s a large multi dealership, then they tend to have “Group Stock” which is fine, because it’s still an “In House” type of thing.
But even this can get a bit of a cat scrap sometimes.

I think dealers would sooner have their teeth pulled out, than offer a car to another rival dealer these days 🤣.
If it’s a large multi dealership, then they tend to have “Group Stock” which is fine, because it’s still an “In House” type of thing.
But even this can get a bit of a cat scrap sometimes.
Which means I'm not holding out much hope of an early delivery, as my dealer only has 2 branches.

Which means I'm not holding out much hope of an early delivery, as my dealer only has 2 branches.
More branches, more customers so the car to customer ratio is probably the same. The dealer I've ordered my MG4 from has only just added MG as a brand to their dealership so like you the early delivery hope is small.
But look on the bright side. Hopefully all the problems and niggles will have been flagged up by the early guinea pigs and sorted by the time we get ours. :unsure:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back