do we need battery balancing?

jem111111

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi All
I see on the Full EV sections on the forum that they talk a lot about charging ( should you charge to 100%) and also battery balancing.
Well I always fully charge the battery and I've no idea if we need to do any battery balancing

Anybody have any thoughts

I saw on only 1 review of the HS PHEV saying 12.5 kw was available for use ( out of the 16) , for the EV mode.
The reason I ask is my accumulated figures show I am achieving 3.7 miles per kwh, so multiply that by 12.5 =46.25 miles.
I know we don't have a guess o'meter (GOM) but why when I charge does it always show range as 32 miles? when the calculation shows 46.25 or is that another quirk of the Phev lol

Apart from your figures which are in miles, the fact is that with a fully charged battery you always are presented with the same range. 52 km in my case. The real range improves from about 10 degr OAT and decreases in colder circumstances. So, the presented range is so to speak never correct.

Same thing, test drove the PHEV (Australian version) the other day, full charge showing 52km, interestingly the Thai version shows 67km on the GOM, same vehicle (probably more electrical load due to more features) so can't understand why so low...the MG website has been updated to show 63Km WLTP, so I don't know what to make of it now....be nice if someone can do a real range test in EV mode only !
Going by your figures jem111111 on paper it should get well over its 52km GOM guess ??

Hi All
I see on the Full EV sections on the forum that they talk a lot about charging ( should you charge to 100%) and also battery balancing.
Well I always fully charge the battery and I've no idea if we need to do any battery balancing

Anybody have any thoughts
On the EV, I think that it's good to charge up to 100% every now and then to ensure balancing, but I don't know about the PHEV, and I'm not technically blessed!!!

Same thing, test drove the PHEV (Australian version) the other day, full charge showing 52km, interestingly the Thai version shows 67km on the GOM, same vehicle (probably more electrical load due to more features) so can't understand why so low...the MG website has been updated to show 63Km WLTP, so I don't know what to make of it now....be nice if someone can do a real range test in EV mode only !
Going by your figures jem111111 on paper it should get well over its 52km GOM guess ??
Hi Amason
yes 46.25 miles = 74.4 km

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom