Does 2022 MG5 have 400 mile range?

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've just watched this YouTube video of the new MG5 of 2022. At 1:53 it shows a shit of the center display. In the top right corner it mentions charging with possible text "Estimated current range 400m". Now should we be getting excited that this new model has an even greater range than the current LR by an additional 150 miles?

I've just watched this YouTube video of the new MG5 of 2022. At 1:53 it shows a sh*t of the center display. In the top right corner it mentions charging with possible text "Estimated current range 400m". Now should we be getting excited that this new model has an even greater range than the current LR by an additional 150 miles?
I meant shot not sh*t!

Wonder what's the highest mileage anyone's got out of MG5 RL :unsure:? I feel a challenge coming on.

Noticed on dealer forecourt today the new ZS with a 273 mile range for £28k. Salesman said they are selling faster than he can get them including offers of full price for the one on his forecourt - lead time currently March 2022. Likewise the MG5LR with 'only' 248miles range.

Think the 2022 is just a nice looking face lift rather than an all new setup with new tech and features...

Think the 2022 is just a nice looking face lift rather than an all new setup with new tech and features...
It looks nice. The interior is smart. I know MG are raising their prices in the new year so I wonder what this will be priced at. Hopefully getting out LR in Jan.

On the Certificate of Conformity that came with my Long range (pic attached) it quotes 403km which is the same as the quoted WLTP.
It also quotes "Urban Range as 539.5km, which is 335 miles.
So I think the facelift will have a different front in terms of panels, lights etc. but it will use the same 61kwh platform as the current Long Range model.
Nice looking upgrade though 🙂

Attachments

• 20211230_123456.jpg
    20211230_123456.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 132
100% and balanced this morning showed a range of 247miles on eco. A 100 mile dash there and back to Cellardyke on the north shore of the river Forth has left 50% showing with GOM suggesting 104 miles left. That was loaded with cases and furniture etc for a flitting.

100% and balanced this morning showed a range of 247miles on eco. A 100 mile dash there and back to Cellardyke on the north shore of the river Forth has left 50% showing with GOM suggesting 104 miles left. That was loaded with cases and furniture etc for a flitting.
Part time remover Archie ??? :)

I also got quite excited when I read the OP as I’ve been delaying making the jump to ev until the facelift MG5 arrived in the UK. I read somewhere that there was enough room in the MG5 to put in the 72kwh battery which would have made it ideal for me. It could be 6 months or more before it comes here so there’s still time! In fact this is a long time in battery development: we could still see a 400ml MG5!

I also got quite excited when I read the OP as I’ve been delaying making the jump to ev until the facelift MG5 arrived in the UK. I read somewhere that there was enough room in the MG5 to put in the 72kwh battery which would have made it ideal for me. It could be 6 months or more before it comes here so there’s still time! In fact this is a long time in battery development: we could still see a 400ml MG5!
I hope they don’t overload it - it’s a lovely balanced driver with the 61kWh battery I reckon.

I don't think Europe will see the facelift until late spring and I don't think they have an RHD in production yet. So it could be 2023 before we see it in the UK.

Capto_Capture 2022-02-28_10-41-18_am.png
The text below the video clarifies this question nicely (see screen grab anf highlighted areas).I feel that a battery big enough for 400miles would perhaps be excessive, both the cost and weight of the car would increase significantly (with the extra weight having an impact on performance too, and the extra weight would mean the battery would need to be even bigger to get 400miles range). Just my thought though, we all have different needs for our cars.

I do wonder if a sweet spot (with current technlogy and battery prices) would be a car that has 300-350 miles WLTP range, and charging at 150kW+. Thus a fully charged range that is long enough for a very long return journey in one day, or a good range for a single stint with a fully laden car on a road trip (and then very fast chaging to get you on the road again quickly).

I like the facelift and interior changes of the MG5 for the 2022 version :)

The app connectivity is a welcome addition too (imo).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom