My 12 month review of 2022 MG5 LR exclusive (pre facelift)

My major beef is the ease with which you can accidentally engage lane control (which I hate) and then, just as you've lost control of the steering, can only disengage it by going into car settings on the screen.

Push the lower (cruise control) stalk towards the dash, that will disengage all CC and LKA. At least it does in my pre face lift. Just remember to take over the accelerator control or you'll scare whoever is behind you!

Pull it back to re-engage the ACC. It'll have forgotten the last spedd so you will have to reset the desire speed.

On the pre-facelift model you can disengage LKA without needing to go anywhere near the Infotainment screen; simply press twice on the green button at the end of the indicator stalk.

I assume the facelift version has a similar option?

So after owning a MK1 MG5 SR for over 20 months and around 18500 miles
And now owning the facelifted MG5 Trophy for around 4 months and 3700 miles.
Plus also having my Wife’s MG4 SESR I have I bit of experience of them all.

I loved the 5 MK1 and apart from brake squealing in reverse never give me an issue, dealer had the car 5 times and never managed to sort the brakes out so that was one reason to get shut plus the great price I got for it when I did sell it so it had to go

Aberdeenshire as listed his likes and dislikes and I can tell you most of his dislikes or gone with the facelifted version front parking sensors not needed as 360 degree Cameras which do away the need for them internally lights front and rear which I did a thread on the way I updated them to LEDs and are great now, the Ismart app is also in the car now and is great for controlling charging, and in the winter defrosted the car with it most days plus warmed the car up Brilliant it was.

The headlights are now Fantastic LEDs as standard now best I have experienced.

I agree with most of his like list but the facelift is not quite as smooth some times and I don’t think its as efficient, hard for me to compare efficiency as my mk1 was a SR and over the 18500 miles in all weathers and driving conditions it show 4.8 in the accumulation screen and that counter I never reset, this newer model is more around 4.3 up to now so I may have gain 20-30 miles with the bigger battery over the old one,

According to James & Kate the ride quality and the less efficiency might be down to the bigger wheels.
He could be right about both in fact MG say the Trophy is able to do 234 miles where the SE model does 250 miles only real difference is the SE has smaller wheels and tyres.

Inside the central console I could live without the seats feel a bit firmer than my old one pity the rears are not heated as the fronts are.

As for the MG4 I would say there’s more room inside the cabin its a little dark due to the dark roof I think the seats are not quite as comfortable as the 5 that said it’s an SE model, but the drive is Far better on the back roads I love driving it but always keep getting told to slow down, the biggest gripe my wife has is the sills, far to wide in her opinion plus having to check things are switched before she sets off each time but that’s MG Pilot and NCAP for you.

Which is the better buy well in my opinion the MG4 SESR if the boot is big enough for you, which is the reason l have stuck with the 5 far better in that area.

5s a great workhorse which ever you own and will do anything you want from a motor but the MG4 is the drivers car.
Les

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom