Does anyone know what exactly is done when the ZS EV is serviced?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in what operations are carried out during the various service intervals. I can’t find any actual details. There’s lots of stuff about service packages. I’m told first service 15k miles or 12 months old, but the main thing is to get the annual body check done for warranty. Also been told battery coolant needs to be changed after 4 years or 60k miles. I wouldn’t have thought there was much to be done on a service. I’m considering just having the annual body check done. Anyone have details on what I would be missing?

You would be missing the free AA cover that comes with each service, that alone is worth the cost of the service.

Oh ok. Thank you. I hadn’t thought about that. I gather MG don't give any breakdown cover under warranty?

Oh ok. Thank you. I hadn’t thought about that. I gather MG don't give any breakdown cover under warranty?
The AA cover is provided by MG for the first year then the dealer (or MG ?) each year after that on provision of a service.

The AA cover is provided by MG for the first year then the dealer (or MG ?) each year after that on provision of a service.
Most manufactures have a service schedule list that you can get or its in the service book. One thing that happens for certain is that the dealer takes your money!

As for the breakdown I would guess that's already covered by you bank account freebies that are in the monthly fee along with Travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, legal advice etc etc. Basically for me and others the AA from MG is not needed and may already be provided by the AA or Green flag or RAC and others.

JLR covered me for three years by way of the warrantee.

Most manufactures have a service schedule list that you can get or its in the service book. One thing that happens for certain is that the dealer takes your money!

As for the breakdown I would guess that's already covered by you bank account freebies that are in the monthly fee along with Travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, legal advice etc etc. Basically for me and others the AA from MG is not needed and may already be provided by the AA or Green flag or RAC and others.

Yes. I agree. One of the positive benefits of an ev is the lack of need for servicing. I know it’s a completely different brand but Tesla do not require servicing ( aside from some very minimal recommended items)

Yes. I agree. One of the positive benefits of an ev is the lack of need for servicing. I know it’s a completely different brand but Tesla do not require servicing ( aside from some very minimal recommended items)
I’m liking the black out look, was thinking of doing this to mine, saw something similar to your at BRE Watford.

Monthly fee for having a bank account, no thanks :unsure:

Monthly fee for having a bank account, no thanks :unsure:
If you look at the benefits especially the breakdown cover for any car your in at the time, the travel insurance for you and family, the mobile phone/s insurance, they alone are worth more than the monthly fee. So if your paying separately for those then.......you obviously have not looked deep enough. Or got money to waste.
Oh, we both bought an MG though doh!

If you look at the benefits especially the breakdown cover for any car your in at the time, the travel insurance for you and family, the mobile phone/s insurance, they alone are worth more than the monthly fee. So if your paying separately for those then.......you obviously have not looked deep enough. Or got money to waste.
Oh, we both bought an MG though doh!
Paid for accounts depend on the person. The mobile phone cover is quite often included in your household insurance, mine is so not needed. Full breakdown cover can be bought for less than £40 per year, my renewal for full cover at home, recovery, onward travel etc was £38 for my 14 year old car a month ago (it had gone up from £36 previous year). Travel insurance on those policies does not cover pre-existing conditions so no good for lots of people.

So there is no blanket answer as to whether it is worth it or not, and yes you do have to look deeper.

Oh and forgot to add who the heck needs travel insurance now anyway :)

It’s interesting - given the amount of owners who have taken service packs that - as yet - no one can suggest what is actually done to their cars at each service interval.

Not very much is the answer but given it’s a condition of the warranty to have it serviced, why wouldn’t you?

Is it a condition of the warranty? I know annual body checks need to be carried out for the bodywork warranty - which is fair enough.

The warranty terms and conditions state the servicing needs to be carried out within 1000 miles/28 days of it being due.

Yes. You’re right. But it need not be by MG. That’s why I’m interested to know what is actual completed on the car. I do agree with your sentiment that under normal circumstances you would use the MG dealership so as not to end up in a debate about warranty cover. The 7 Year cover looks great on the face of it but when you look at the t&c’s it’s not that great. As you mention, there’s not really much to do at a service.

Yes. You’re right. But it need not be by MG. That’s why I’m interested to know what is actual completed on the car. I do agree with your sentiment that under normal circumstances you would use the MG dealership so as not to end up in a debate about warranty cover. The 7 Year cover looks great on the face of it but when you look at the t&c’s it’s not that great. As you mention, there’s not really much to do at a service.
So you’d pay someone else to do it - a VAT registered garage who would need to use genuine MG parts (the cabin filter does need changing at some point for example) and then pay the dealer to do the body inspection... to save how much?

The warrranty might be restrictive but are you really going to gamble with the battery / drivetrain warranty? The servicing isn’t even that expensive.

Maybe not. Or maybe do it myself. I’d still like to know what is done on each service though.

Maybe not. Or maybe do it myself. I’d still like to know what is done on each service though.
Are you a VAT registered garage? You’ll almost certainly void the warranty DIY-ing it if you’re not.

Yes maybe. Not sure where it says vat garage though. I think it depends on what needs to be done. Replacing a filter is easy - not sure how MG could void a warranty if that’s all that’s been done. it’s semantics to an extent As most will just go with MG for the full 7 years. my original post was to try to understand what work is actually needed at the service first.

Yes maybe. Not sure where it says vat garage though. I think it depends on what needs to be done. Replacing a filter is easy - not sure how MG could void a warranty if that’s all that’s been done. it’s semantics to an extent As most will just go with MG for the full 7 years. my original post was to try to understand what work is actually needed at the service first.
It’s widely accepted criteria for block exemption that you need to use a VAT registered garage if you aren’t using the franchised dealer.

How easy any of the service items are to carry out bears little relevance - by all means DIY it to save less than 1% of the purchase price in servicing costs every year though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom