Does the MG4 come with a heat pump?

Ok. It’s a good point. My answer is - I don’t know!
My thoughts are;
My understanding is that battery pre-conditioning is not dependent on a heat pump (obviously because many cars have pre-conditioning but no heat pump - MG4 in the UK for example).
Wether a heat pump (where fitted) contributes towards heating the battery prior to DC charging and that this is done more efficiently, I’m unsure.
I would guess that a heat pump might overall improve how efficiently the pack was heated if required. Battery heating has a specific system that uses a flow pump and heats liquid that flows around the cells (there are some variations).
Cars with battery pre-conditioning but no heat pump will DC charge just as fast providing that the heating does it’s job and gets the pack to temperature. Wether a car with a heat pump pre-conditions the pack quicker or to a higher temperature in very cold weather I don‘t know.
In very cold weather a car with heat pump might get the pack to temperature more efficiently and faster and therefore aid faster charging - perhaps!
However, I would not say that battery pre-conditioning is a main reason for a heat pump.
I notice that the SE standard version doesn't seem to support DC fast charging. Is that because of different battery chemistry with the 51kWh battery? That is disappointing

I notice that the SE standard version doesn't seem to support DC fast charging. Is that because of different battery chemistry with the 51kWh battery? That is disappointing
It does rapid charge. Yes it uses a different cell chemistry.

Attachments

• MG4.jpg
    MG4.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 86
It does rapid charge just not the same level as the trophy

Long range and trophy are the same and both rapid charge at an impressive rate, can't recall the exact figure, someone will be able to provide it

Long range and trophy are the same and both rapid charge at an impressive rate, can't recall the exact figure, someone will be able to provide it
In theory, the SE SR charges at up to 117. The LR (SE & Trophy) goes up to 135.
People have seen the latter figure IRL, but have struggled to get over 90 on the SR.

In theory, the SE SR charges at up to 117. The LR (SE & Trophy) goes up to 135.
People have seen the latter figure IRL, but have struggled to get over 90 on the SR.
Cheers for that

A heat pump adds very little in the UK. In very cold climates it can make a greater difference. Perhaps if you regularly need the maximum range during colder weather and the extra few miles that it might give you is really significant to you. For the majority of owners in the UK it is unnecessary and builds in additional cost and complexity Especially when the larger battery range is quite good anyway.
Rubbish the heat pump made a huge difference it quicker and does not eat away at range having in the uk during the winter period October to April most people set there car in mid to high 20's degree c after the resistive system reduces battery range significantly reducing average 3.9 m/kw to 2.4 m/kw that a significant drop heat pumps are quicker sorry real world living says different to youn

Rubbish the heat pump made a huge difference it quicker and does not eat away at range having in the uk during the winter period October to April most people set there car in mid to high 20's degree c after the resistive system reduces battery range significantly reducing average 3.9 m/kw to 2.4 m/kw that a significant drop heat pumps are quicker sorry real world living says different to youn
I’m talking rubbish am I? Do you have any actual stats to support what you say?

Heat pumps only really shine when the ambient temperature is below zero, which is very rare where I live in the UK, so it would just make the car more expensive, which is no advantage. The climate might be different where you live, so they might make sense for you.

It also makes a huge difference whether you travel early in the mornings or not. These days, many working people are home-based a good percentage of the time, so this is less common than it used to be, though clearly there are still many doing it and the school run etc... However, I neither drive in the early morning nor have kids to transport.

Pretending that they are a universal good with no trade off , is - to coin a phrase - rubbish.

I've owned two Kia e-Niro cars; one was a "4" and the other a "4+". Their power trains, arodynamics, battery, throttle profile etc. were identical, with the ONLY difference affecting range being that the 4+ had a heat pump, whereas the 4 was simple PTC heater. I swapped them over in November 2020, when the weeks preceeding swap-over were very similar in temperature and weather to the weeks after. I had the heater set to 22 degrees, whereas the outside temp was a pretty consistent 7-12 degrees over the 4 weeks. There was no perceptable difference in range between the two cars; on the same roads under the same conditions. Therefore I have at least some psuedo-scientific evidence to suggest that in the UK climate the heat pump makes very little actual range difference!
This is because the vast majority of power drain is through the motor. If you were sitting in slow-moving traffic for most of your journeys, the HVAC system would constitute a larger percentage of your overall power draw. But if you're getting average 30mph or more speeds over your journey, the actual power taken by HVAC pales into the background.
The dealer actually told me this - he said the benefit of a heat pump is increased capacity of the HVAC system, so it would heat the cabin more quickly in winter. This is the actual benefit of a heat pump, so it does make a difference; just not to range.

A heat pump is just a more efficient way to heat the cabin, it is by no means essential and it can take longer to get up to temperature than a conventional heater.

Yes, you’ll get more range with a heat pump but for many people range is sufficient without one and saving the cost of having one is the better option.

Agreed. I love the way the heat comes on so quickly in my car.

What car have done a couple of winter range tests, they are on YouTube, they reckon the average heat pump adds 5% potentially stretching to 10% with really good cars, they make no real difference in short journeys up to about 15-20 mins.
It comes into the category of nice to have and would happily take it if it was standard on the car like all newer Tesla's and most EU versions of EVs but I don't think I'd pay £1000 to upgrade to one

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back