Does the MG4 come with a heat pump?

TheHypnoToad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Looking at the specs it says it comes with climate control, I was wondering if the climate control was done with a heat pump or resistive heater, thanks.

A heat pump adds very little in the UK. In very cold climates it can make a greater difference. Perhaps if you regularly need the maximum range during colder weather and the extra few miles that it might give you is really significant to you. For the majority of owners in the UK it is unnecessary and builds in additional cost and complexity Especially when the larger battery range is quite good anyway.

A heat pump adds very little in the UK. In very cold climates it can make a greater difference. Perhaps if you regularly need the maximum range during colder weather and the extra few miles that it might give you is really significant to you. For the majority of owners in the UK it is unnecessary and builds in additional cost and complexity Especially when the larger battery range is quite good anyway.
That's what the UK based headquarters who have finalized the specs will tell you.

If you live anywhere from the midlands up, a heat pump make complete sense.

Last edited:
A heat pump is a must ! We have cold weather and this is a requirement , not an option , factory
gate price will not be much . Better to give the car it's best spec , rather than the bean counters saying we don't need this . I won't buy yet till this is fixed .

A heat pump is a must ! We have cold weather and this is a requirement , not an option , factory
gate price will not be much . Better to give the car it's best spec , rather than the bean counters saying we don't need this . I won't buy yet till this is fixed .
On what data do you base a heat pump as a must in the UK?
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by ‘factory gate price’ but if you mean the cost of a heat pump, it’s typically around £1000 to £1500 more on the list price of the car. I’m not sure either what you mean by ‘bean counters saying we don’t need this’….? Sorry…🤪

On what data do you base a heat pump as a must in the UK?
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by ‘factory gate price’ but if you mean the cost of a heat pump, it’s typically around £1000 to £1500 more on the list price of the car. I’m not sure either what you mean by ‘bean counters saying we don’t need this’….? Sorry…🤪
Heat pumps work best when the temperature difference is small, not so efficient when the difference is large. This why heat pumps on houses in the UK are ok in autumn and rubbish in winter. Thus in the UK, on cars, most of the time, heat pumps are a desired item. I was going to order a mg4 but now going for a kia.

A heat pump is just a more efficient way to heat the cabin, it is by no means essential and it can take longer to get up to temperature than a conventional heater.

Yes, you’ll get more range with a heat pump but for many people range is sufficient without one and saving the cost of having one is the better option.

The whole basis of that analysis was flawed - it assumes that the £900 is the cost to the manufacturer of fitting the extra as standard (it will be less than a quarter of that), and that the main heating or cooling cycle is only going to be done once per full charge. The reality is that most people do a series of shorter journeys within the full range, hence the much lower efficiency of the 2 vs the 4+ which amounted to closer to 1/2 mile/kWh out of 3.5miles/kWh, so around 15%. Hence using the £900 and 30p/kWh you get something closer to 70,000 miles payback. If you use a lower actual cost to fit the heat pump the distance comes down significantly - closer to 20,000 miles.
In the MG4 there's a general lack of efficiency in comparison to the best examples from other manufacturers. Whether the heat pump is better to fit than hunting down the other issues is open to question.

Heat pumps work best when the temperature difference is small, not so efficient when the difference is large. This why heat pumps on houses in the UK are ok in autumn and rubbish in winter. Thus in the UK, on cars, most of the time, heat pumps are a desired item. I was going to order a mg4 but now going for a kia.
I am not an expert. I’m not saying heat pumps are not a benefit - they are - they improve range - a little...
I am saying that I‘ve yet to see any data that suggests that in the UK a heat pump provides a major benefit - unless - you definitely need to get the maximum range for longer journeys during colder months regularly and the extra few miles means a lot to you. I would suggest that for most that is not the case.

Heat pump on the U.K. market e.Golf a few years ago, was a factory option, but the cost was over £1,000.
That’s a lot of money towards running the restive heater, but hey !.
Everybody’s usage case will be completely different, what suits one person may not suit another !.

From his own data it shows up to a 0.5 mile/kWh improvement during the months where you need extra range the most. That would be an extra 30 miles range in a LR.

£2500 is what you pay for an extra 63 miles going from MG4 SR to LR so even if it was £900 for a heat pump I still think it would be reasonable value.

Yes - I agree. My concern is, as far as I know, no-one has published any definitive data that shows the extra range that can be obtained heat pump v no heat pump. There is also a lot of other areas where efficiency gains can be had.
There is lots of anecdotal stuff The official Range Test results don’t change either on cars specified with a heat pump…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back