• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Does the ZS EV drive train have a differential

The gearbox is immaterial. If there is only one drive motor then there must be a differential.

Slightly off topic - does anyone notice how noisy the transfer gearbox can be? Especially at low speed it whines a lot and you can hear it engage and disengage teeth when on and off the power at very low speeds?

Last edited:
I assumed the whine came from the motor not the gearbox or dif, when I had a courtesy car the other day I noticed it had a much louder whine than my own car.

Yes - I think that they do vary in noise levels. There is a motor whine as well of course, but this is definitely from the transfer box.

There is a fair bit going on at low speeds.
With your windows down you can hear a combination of the VES the motor whine and some mechanical ⚙️ noise all doing battle at the same time alright.

My car has now done about 8000 miles, and I thought it might be getting a bit noisier. However, it could be that I am now used to very low noise.........

Slightly off topic - does anyone notice how noisy the transfer gearbox can be? Especially at low speed it whines a lot and you can hear it engage and disengage teeth when on and off the power at very low speeds?
Mine is more like a dry bearing noise when coming off the power and goes as soon as you go into regen .Basically when free wheeling. Had this noise before on other drive trains which has been a bearing moving around in the casing or lack of oil feed, just waiting to see if it gets worse before taking it in as they will say they cannot hear it.( 40 plus Yrs in the motor trade fixing gearbox's etc so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom