Dog in Boot of MG4!

mikeb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just wondering if anyone has an MG4 and a dog! We currently have an MG5 and a medium (30kg) Labrador. I am very keen on the MG4 X Power and just wonder if our Labrador would fit in the boot!😃

We have four Border Collies they go on the back seats with a full cover which hangs from the front and rear headrests to form a hammock. Trying to keep the boot clean for shopping etc. interesting views from the interior mirror, so use wing mirrors like a van driver and re-sale value plummets every trip. Remember to plug in seatbelts before fitting cover!

We have four Border Collies they go on the back seats with a full cover which hangs from the front and rear headrests to form a hammock. Trying to keep the boot clean for shopping etc. interesting views from the interior mirror, so use wing mirrors like a van driver and re-sale value plummets every trip. Remember to plug in seatbelts before fitting cover!
I had wondered about whether using the back seats would work so thank you for this post!

We also use a hammock/liner in the back seats for our two dogs. Secure their harnesses to the normal seatbelt plugs

I'm the one mentioned by @siteguru who has two greyhounds in the back of my MG4. I have the back seats down and a full up to the front seats fitted liner by Rhino Bootliners Ltd.

IMG_20230615_070950745-2.jpg

Thank you for the photo! Please could you tell me if one of your greyhounds would fit comfortably in the boot with the back seat up.
Given someone has already mentioned their Retriever fits OK I guess you can take it as read. ;)

My boys (Bichon Frise) go on the back seat, secured by bungee belts from their harnesses to the seat belt holders. (I also have a seat cover for the rear plus a blanket). FWIW I would never put dogs in the boot - we got rear-ended a few years ago (in our then Insignia) and if the (then only 1) dog had been in the boot he wouldn't be here now.

Thank you for the photo! Please could you tell me if one of your greyhounds would fit comfortably in the boot with the back seat up.
When I had just one greyhound she used to fit in the back of my Focus with the seats up.

Why not take the dog with you to the dealers and see if it fits and if you an get it in and out comfortably?

40kg German Shepard fits in perfectly, even have a boot divider with a fold up pram next to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be a party-pooper, but it is illegal to not have dogs secure in the car, and the police are typically looking for a dog crate or, at least, the dogs to be harnessed to a fixed point. On a less legal note, I would never want my dog to be thrown around the car in an accident; bad for the dog and possibly fatal for other occupants.

Rule 57 of the Highway Code
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

There is a difference between being restrained and secured. As long as the dog(s) can't distract the driver while they are driving, or in the case of having to stop quickly, knock into the driver and harm themselves then whatever you use is legal.

I'd prefer my dogs to hit the back of the seats than the wire mesh of a crate or being suddenly pulled up short by a lead or harness. They do have their leads attached to an anchor point but have enough slack so they don't get pulled up before hitting the seat back. And to be honest if you are in a bad enough accident that the car rolls the dogs and yourself are going to be badly injured no matter how you or they are restrained.

Let's keep it on topic and remember the OP'S original question.

It's each individuals own responsibility to decide on what's suitable regarding securing their pet for transport. The rules are there and yes they need to be safe but gosh let's not start that debate.

I also have a SPARE dog guard for sale made for the MG4 if anyone is interested DM me.

Rule 57 of the Highway Code
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

There is a difference between being restrained and secured. As long as the dog(s) can't distract the driver while they are driving, or in the case of having to stop quickly, knock into the driver and harm themselves then whatever you use is legal.

I'd prefer my dogs to hit the back of the seats than the wire mesh of a crate or being suddenly pulled up short by a lead or harness. They do have their leads attached to an anchor point but have enough slack so they don't get pulled up before hitting the seat back. And to be honest if you are in a bad enough accident that the car rolls the dogs and yourself are going to be badly injured no matter how you or they are restrained.
I know this is off point - my apologies - but research has demonstrated that unsecured rear passengers (people and dogs) flying forward from a severe collision is usually (and unnecessarily) fatal to both the rear AND front passengers. Your last point is totally wrong; my cocker spaniel had a proper crash-tested dog crate and and would survive a serous accident without compromising anyone else's safety. They are not expensive and have an extra safety exit at the rear of the crate of which fireman are aware so they can rescue the dog if the normal gate cannot be opened. Here is the rule; if a police officer considers you dog in not properly secure in the car you can/will be prosecuted. End.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back