Door mirror replacement

Valiant5

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried without success to find a replacement door mirror glass (nearside) for my 5. Been looking online for a few weeks now, including eBay and Ali Express, but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas? It's just the glass I need, not the whole unit. I can still see with the cracked one but it's not ideal. I'd imagine the MG part is fairly expensive and ultimately I'll resort to that if need be, but in the meantime....

Should add that I tried one of those cut to size mirrors, but the original 5 one you stick it onto is slightly convex, so the cut mirror distorts quite badly.

Have you asked an MG dealer parts dept whether they sell the glass only?
Nothing to lose by trying.

Thanks, Joe. Yes, I'm coming round to thinking I'll have to do that. Really can't be that expensive...can it?!

It's actually quite easy to remove and refit, so that's not a problem.

Fingers crossed for you, I did see a YouTube video of a guy who was showing an obscure replacement piece of plastic trim from the boot lid. He was nervously worrying what the cost might be from China.
When it arrived it was £1.56 excluding VAT 🥳
One might expect mirror glass to be broken easily so hopefully the price might be better than you expect.
I do hope so, please do let us know & good luck

Last edited:
I've tried without success to find a replacement door mirror glass (nearside) for my 5. Been looking online for a few weeks now, including eBay and Ali Express, but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas? It's just the glass I need, not the whole unit. I can still see with the cracked one but it's not ideal. I'd imagine the MG part is fairly expensive and ultimately I'll resort to that if need be, but in the meantime....

Should add that I tried one of those cut to size mirrors, but the original 5 one you stick it onto is slightly convex, so the cut mirror distorts quite badly.
I think you may be surprised at the MG dealer parts costs.

Pleasantly or Unpleasantly?
According to a guy on YouTube (which I can't find the video now), IIRC, a plastic trim part which would have cost over £100 for a VW was only £6 for the MG

Well, well! That's the first time I've seen it on Ali Express, looked several times, too.

It's actually similar in price to the official MG one, although I can now pick that up at the dealer in Sheffield on Thursday, rather than wait for a part from the far east.

For future reference, if anyone needs a replacement, the part number is 10623458 and the price is £15.10p inclusive. This is for the nearside mirror.

Thanks for all the replies, it's such a useful source of help and advice👍

Well, well! That's the first time I've seen it on Ali Express, looked several times, too.

It's actually similar in price to the official MG one, although I can now pick that up at the dealer in Sheffield on Thursday, rather than wait for a part from the far east.

For future reference, if anyone needs a replacement, the part number is 10623458 and the price is £15.10p inclusive. This is for the nearside mirror.

Thanks for all the replies, it's such a useful source of help and advice👍
This is coming from a guy that orders more things yearly from AliExpress than I eat dinners.....
I have my techniques on finding things on AliExpress 😛😉😉

Collected from Eric Stead's near Sheffield this morning. Very helpful parts department. Didn't buy the car there but asked for a service plan quote while I was in the showroom and was given one on the spot

Collected from Eric Stead's near Sheffield this morning. Very helpful parts department. Didn't buy the car there but asked for a service plan quote while I was in the showroom and was given one on the spot
My local mg in Derby won't give me a price for a service plan. Also one of the techs said he really hates electric, so he's in the right job.

My local mg in Derby won't give me a price for a service plan. Also one of the techs said he really hates electric, so he's in the right job.
Phew! I was thinking of asking Derby MG for a service quote, too, so that's helpful. I'm roughly halfway between Stead's and Derby, so either would make sense otherwise. I go down to Derby quite a bit as I'm a Derbyshire County Cricket Club member, but as I said to the service lady at Stead's, there's not much cricket played in deepest December when my service is due!

Also one of the techs said he really hates electric
In that case, he should strongly consider a completely different career in the very near future.
He only hates them, purely because he does not want to understand them !.
They are his / her future.
Move with the times or move jobs, its that simple.
"Embrace The Technology".
The drivers door mirror glass just decided it would just fall out and hit the floor, the day after we had returned from holiday about 2 years ago.
The self adhesive tape fitted by the factory had degraded and released the mirror glass from the backing plate.
As I shut the door, the glass hit the ground and smashed.
I contacted the VW parts department to purchase a new glass.
The guy said, that VW don't just supply the glass, it is bonded to the backing plate and comes as an assembly.
Wait for it !.
That will be £58 with VAT sir !.
The backing plate has the glass boded to one side and the heated door mirror element bonded to the other.
Apparently, it is that much of a common issue, they keep this items on the shelf ready !.
Good money, if you can get it.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom