Down side of Free Vending

My local Tesco at Eastbourne .. massive car park 4 chargers !!! Always got ICE parked in there or not working … the kids park there instead of having to walk the fill length of the car Park to buy their energy drinks and rubbish

Waitrose you s much better, it’s a Polar but you always get on

I get discount in Waitrose as my mums a pensioner so a winner … but TESCO need to police these free chargers

My local Tesco at Eastbourne .. massive car park 4 chargers !!! Always got ICE parked in there or not working … the kids park there instead of having to walk the fill length of the car Park to buy their energy drinks and rubbish

Waitrose you s much better, it’s a Polar but you always get on

I get discount in Waitrose as my mums a pensioner so a winner … but TESCO need to police these free chargers
Sadly they wont do anything about it, its down to the charger supplier, think thats Pod Point in Tesco. The best thing they could have done is not put the chargers near the store entrance, then would be less likely to be iced.

Sadly they wont do anything about it, its down to the charger supplier, think thats Pod Point in Tesco. The best thing they could have done is not put the chargers near the store entrance, then would be less likely to be iced.
That's a cop out. A charge point supplier, potentially located hundreds of miles away can not possibly do anything about abused chargers. The supermarket has staff on site and can if they choose to.

There are various models for delivering chargers in supermarkets and other publicly accessible sites; the supermarket my buy them outright, they may lease the site to a third party to manage, or there may be some hybrid model where costs and profits are shared. Either way, it is typical for grant funding to be sought and conditions may be imposed by grant or charger provider. These conditions are likely to include the sort of bay markings and signage that should be used, and actions required to maintain access.

The responsibilities of respective parties should be clear in contracts, but expecting a remote supplier to prevent ICEing is unlikely.

If a supermarket charger is regularly abused it might be worth contacting Supermarket, Charge provider and OZEV.

On a practical level do supermarkets 'police' the use of parent/child spaces and/or disabled bays?

I don't see that happening at the supermarkets we use. So, unlikely they will do it for EV chargers, IMO.

On a practical level do supermarkets 'police' the use of parent/child spaces and/or disabled bays?

I don't see that happening at the supermarkets we use. So, unlikely they will do it for EV chargers, IMO.
No they don't. They rely on courtesy and empathy of others to keep parent/child and disabled bays free for those that need them. We have all observed abuse of these spaces.

The difference with EV charge bays is it is likely that OZEV may have made grant funding and third parties earn revenue from charging. Failure to allow charge bays to be used appropriately is potentially a contractual breach.

If a supermarket charger is regularly abused it might be worth contacting Supermarket, Charge provider and OZEV.
Sadly I don't think it would make much difference, I've heard of people trying this before and nothing being done about it. Like you say the charge provider are probably miles away and the supermarket don't want to stop people using the spaces, as far as they are concerned its another customer to spend money in the shop!

You may be right. We have a choice - do nothing and accept the situation, or speak out and seek change.

edmundburke1.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom