CraigDM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Our Trophy arrived last night, so we are still getting to grips with it!
Coming from a Hyundai EV, and having read through this forum we're expecting a few 'challenges' regarding the new tech and safety systems.

First question is regards the drive modes. What differences do they make?
Is the bhp actually reduced in Eco or is it just a dulling of the throttle response?

Honestly I can't say that the drive modes make a huge difference for me, ECO dulls the throttle response and limits the maximum power, I've not used SPORT so far so cannot comment on that. So 99% of the time I just drive in NORMAL with regen level 3. That's happens to be the default setting so it's just get in and go. If you drive a lot on motorways then the drive mode will make very little difference as you tend to cruise at a set speed, around town it will be more noticeable but personally I don't like the throttle in ECO.

As you will have probably realised the manual (around page 195) is of no help. As with Muz, I drive in Normal mode with regen 3 (which the car defaults to on starting). If you want to take more control, it's worth looking at the Custom mode.
My guide MG4 Trophy - a Guide may help.

As you will have probably realised the manual (around page 195) is of no help. As with Muz, I drive in Normal mode with regen 3 (which the car defaults to on starting). If you want to take more control, it's worth looking at the Custom mode.
My guide MG4 Trophy - a Guide may help.
Downloaded this a couple of weeks ago, need to read it again now we actually have the vehicle.
Many thanks for compiling this!

Just beware the car is rear wheel drive, when it’s slippery (icy, wet) the stock tyres can feel a little loose if lifting off the throttle suddenly. Use regen 2 or even 1 in those conditions or just be very controlled upon releasing the throttle

Last edited:
Just beware the car is rear wheel drive, when it’s slippery (icy, wet) thr stock tyres can feel a little loose if lifting off the throttle suddenly. Use regen 2 or even 1 in those conditions or just be very controlled on the throttle
Interesting you should say that, I've not experienced the rear tyres feeling loose when coming off the throttle, but the back end has waved a few times on acceleration on slightly greasy road junctions this time of year on the stock tyres.

Interesting you should say that, I've not experienced the rear tyres feeling loose when coming off the throttle, but the back end has waved a few times on acceleration on slightly greasy road junctions this time of year on the stock tyres.
Think of high regen as the good old’ engine braking
If you come off the throttle suddenly, with regen at 3, it can happen that the back end suddenly wants to overtake the front end.
I’m glad this hasn’t happened to you.

I think the question was regarding remembering settings for CUSTOM rather than selection of CUSTOM?

In my case, whatever settings I've chosen for CUSTOM are remembered, but obviously NORMAL mode is default selected at start-up.

But OPD is not one of the CUSTOM mode settings, is it. ;)
For some strange reason it actually is (in later cars with OPD) !!. You need to scroll down to the bottom few choices from the first screen..

Why do MG put it in there and then it (OPD) defaults to off every startup 😒. It defeats the whole purpose of having a Custom mode.

EDIT : As per siteguru's post below only the top three choices are actually pertaining to Custom mode.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3085.JPG
    IMG_3085.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Honestly I can't say that the drive modes make a huge difference for me, ECO dulls the throttle response and limits the maximum power, I've not used SPORT so far so cannot comment on that. So 99% of the time I just drive in NORMAL with regen level 3. That's happens to be the default setting so it's just get in and go. If you drive a lot on motorways then the drive mode will make very little difference as you tend to cruise at a set speed, around town it will be more noticeable but personally I don't like the throttle in ECO.
I do the same - normal and regen 3 suits me. I might turn regen down on a motorway although I'll often use ACC there.
I may be wrong, but it has always seemed to me that using ECO or Normal at a steady 70mph will make no difference as it must take a certain amount of energy to keep the car at that speed regardless of drive mode. Is that barmy thinking?

Interesting comments - I will have to retry "Custom" now. I usually use it over sport when I want more acceleration since mine defaults to sport acceleration but lighter steering which I prefer. However, one pedal driving was being forgotten and thought the other settings weren't saving either (fortunately most were how I like them anyway), but if it should save the other settings I will try dial it in a bit better.

I refuse to change most settings each time I get in the car that need fiddling in the menus, but changing driving modes is nice as can be assigned to shortcut button on wheel.

For some strange reason it actually is (in later cars with OPD) !!. You need to scroll down to the bottom few choices from the first screen..

Why do MG put it in there and then it (OPD) defaults to off every startup 😒. It defeats the whole purpose of having a Custom mode.
You're misreading the screen ... the only options pertaining to CUSTOM are Horsepower, Steering and Pedal force. The clue is the horizontal separator bar underneath Pedal force. :)

You're misreading the screen ... the only options pertaining to CUSTOM are Horsepower, Steering and Pedal force. The clue is the horizontal separator bar underneath Pedal force. :)

Apologies 😁 I have indeed been fooled by the screen all this time!!

Many thanks for putting me right 👍. I've made an edit to my post to make this clear.

I do the same - normal and regen 3 suits me. I might turn regen down on a motorway although I'll often use ACC there.
I may be wrong, but it has always seemed to me that using ECO or Normal at a steady 70mph will make no difference as it must take a certain amount of energy to keep the car at that speed regardless of drive mode. Is that barmy thinking?
Not barmy at all, just very logical. The drive modes only make a difference in getting to the speed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back