• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Driver assistance worries - Is it just me?

InThis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Is anybody else experiencing inconsistency with the driver assistance features. We've encountered a few issues during our first 2 weeks of ownership:
  • Emergency braking has activated on a number of occasions where there is no obvious obstacle/trigger
  • On two occasions the vehicle has auto steered around a non obvious obstacle/trigger (it was not lane keeping triggering it was an all out hard break and swerve)
  • Cruise control often (but not always) steps up from 29mph to 35mph. At any other speed (inc 39, 49, 59 etc)it will go to the nearest 5 mph (as you would expect per the manual)
  • The Speed Limit Sign indicator occasionally disappears (after reading and identifying a sign it will usually display and update the speed as expected. But when it disappears I need to turn the car off and on again before it will display again).
  • Information Centre does not behave consistently when setting the cruise control. I prefer to drive with the Trip Computer displayed as I like the digital speedo. When I set (or reset) the cruise control with the end (set) button
    • Sometimes it briefly shows "ACC set" and the speed then reverts to the Trip Computer Display
    • Sometimes it switches to the "Active Safety Screen" and stays there until manually changed
    • Sometimes it stays on the Trip Computer display and the only confirmation of setting is that the speed assist indicator goes green
  • Randomly (and with no driver input) the ACC will disengage
Arguably the latter four points are, at best, an irritation but the first two points seriously worry me. What should be a valuable driver support system is causing anxiety and risk by triggering inappropriately.

I have found the vehicle much more predictable to drive with MG pilot turned off, but it reactivates every time you turn off the ignition.

Is this just my car (and therefore fixable) or are other drivers experiencing this? If the latter I am afraid that I will have to part ways with this car.

NB - Dealer is looking at this at the moment, but they are very much giving the impression that they believe that it is operator error (patronizing gits, it is not!).

Last edited:
Have experienced your first point a couple of times. Car been back to dealer (though not sure they have got to the bottom of the problem) - "reconfigured FDA". Only had it back yesterday so no real chance to test it yet.

Have a look at my thread on "Scrunch al low speeds" - "scrunch" developed into brakes being activated.

I may be wrong but I don't think the MG ZS EV has the ability to "steer around" something. :unsure: or does it ?

I may be wrong but I don't think the MG ZS EV has the ability to "steer around" something. :unsure: or does it ?
Maybe it was LDW kicking in then, but it was a really sharp reaction and there was no reason it should have.

Have experienced your first point a couple of times. Car been back to dealer (though not sure they have got to the bottom of the problem) - "reconfigured FDA". Only had it back yesterday so no real chance to test it yet.

Have a look at my thread on "Scrunch al low speeds" - "scrunch" developed into brakes being activated.
Keep us posted.

NB - What is FDA?

MG Pilot: to turn it off just push the ACC lever as far forwards as possible. To activate it pull it towards you until it clicks, press end button to set speed, then 2 tugs of the ACC lever towards you to activate MG Pilot. To cancel but stay active push lever towards until you feel resistance, but not fully forwards. To resume one tug will put it back on.

Lane Keeping is a pain and it is turned off in my car. It only detects lines in the road. Or at least supposed to. It will not steer around an obstacle.

All AEB equipped cars seem to have issues with ‘false’ events. It’s not unique to the MG.

Speed limit sign disappears if you press OK button for a few seconds while on digital speed screen.

If ACC or MG Pilot active then that screen is the one you see. You can scroll left or right back to other screens, but as soon as ACCMG Pilot detects an event, it switches back to the ACC screen.

Plus if you have LKA switched on (MG Pilot will still work with it switched off) every time it detects an event it will go back to the ACC/LKA screen.

I have never found that it reverts to the speed screen unless I scroll back to it.

I would suggest you turn off LKA in the infotainment system.

ACC doesn’t turn off unless you accelerate hard or brake. Do you mean the car stops steering? That would be normal if it doesn’t detect lines. Unless you have come to a standstill and don’t move off within 3 seconds.

ACC switched on at the speed you are travelling at, st the time you activate it by pressing the set button. Lift lever briefly and it should go to the next ‘5’ or ‘10’ mph or down the same. If you hold it, it will go up (or down) in 1mph increments.

I hope this helps.

MG Pilot: to turn it off just push the ACC lever as far forwards as possible. To activate it pull it towards you until it clicks, press end button to set speed, then 2 tugs of the ACC lever towards you to activate MG Pilot. To cancel but stay active push lever towards until you feel resistance, but not fully forwards. To resume one tug will put it back on.

Lane Keeping is a pain and it is turned off in my car. It only detects lines in the road. Or at least supposed to. It will not steer around an obstacle.

All AEB equipped cars seem to have issues with ‘false’ events. It’s not unique to the MG.

Speed limit sign disappears if you press OK button for a few seconds while on digital speed screen.

If ACC or MG Pilot active then that screen is the one you see. You can scroll left or right back to other screens, but as soon as ACCMG Pilot detects an event, it switches back to the ACC screen.

Plus if you have LKA switched on (MG Pilot will still work with it switched off) every time it detects an event it will go back to the ACC/LKA screen.

I have never found that it reverts to the speed screen unless I scroll back to it.

I would suggest you turn off LKA in the infotainment system.

ACC doesn’t turn off unless you accelerate hard or brake. Do you mean the car stops steering? That would be normal if it doesn’t detect lines. Unless you have come to a standstill and don’t move off within 3 seconds.

ACC switched on at the speed you are travelling at, st the time you activate it by pressing the set button. Lift lever briefly and it should go to the next ‘5’ or ‘10’ mph or down the same. If you hold it, it will go up (or down) in 1mph increments.

I hope this helps.
I’ve been using more and more now I have better confidence in its ability to function correctly. I find it very calming.

We have a lot of country B roads round our way, so LDW was turned off in the infotainment on day one. I’ve not found this setting to be useful in any car I’ve been in that has it, it’s just a nannying annoyance, so glad it can be turned off and unlike collision detection stays at the setting you put it on permanently.

If I remember before setting off I turn collision detection down to low.

I only really use ACC and MG Pilot which have worked well so far, I keep forgetting to hold to knock up in 1 mile increments but have managed ok with the 5. I guess the one annoyance is having to flip back with the arrows to the digital Speedo, if you want that but I’ve got use to using the analog dial and keep it in the LKAS screen so I can see if I have blue Pilot lines or it’s switched into just ACC mode,

Great tip on the speed detection sign in the digital speedo, as that is consistently wrong.

Hi all

Is anybody else experiencing inconsistency with the driver assistance features. We've encountered a few issues during our first 2 weeks of ownership:
  • Emergency braking has activated on a number of occasions where there is no obvious obstacle/trigger
  • On two occasions the vehicle has auto steered around a non obvious obstacle/trigger (it was not lane keeping triggering it was an all out hard break and swerve)
  • Cruise control often (but not always) steps up from 29mph to 35mph. At any other speed (inc 39, 49, 59 etc)it will go to the nearest 5 mph (as you would expect per the manual)
  • The Speed Limit Sign indicator occasionally disappears (after reading and identifying a sign it will usually display and update the speed as expected. But when it disappears I need to turn the car off and on again before it will display again).
  • Information Centre does not behave consistently when setting the cruise control. I prefer to drive with the Trip Computer displayed as I like the digital speedo. When I set (or reset) the cruise control with the end (set) button
    • Sometimes it briefly shows "ACC set" and the speed then reverts to the Trip Computer Display
    • Sometimes it switches to the "Active Safety Screen" and stays there until manually changed
    • Sometimes it stays on the Trip Computer display and the only confirmation of setting is that the speed assist indicator goes green
  • Randomly (and with no driver input) the ACC will disengage
Arguably the latter four points are, at best, an irritation but the first two points seriously worry me. What should be a valuable driver support system is causing anxiety and risk by triggering inappropriately.

I have found the vehicle much more predictable to drive with MG pilot turned off, but it reactivates every time you turn off the ignition.

Is this just my car (and therefore fixable) or are other drivers experiencing this? If the latter I am afraid that I will have to part ways with this car.

NB - Dealer is looking at this at the moment, but they are very much giving the impression that they believe that it is operator error (patronizing gits, it is not!).
Omg I had this I’ve only had the car 3 weeks and is sooo dangerous

I’ve never had these issues with my car and I driven over 10000 miles now since I took ownership in March. I would get it back to the dealership perhaps the sensors need to be recalibrated.

The traffic jam assist will follow the car in front if there are no lines on the road. I've noticed mine will sometimes steer around stationary parked cars by following the car in front.

My mg hs keeps emergency stopping when there is no sign of pedestrians or other cars I'm starting to think it's that sensitive that ghosts are everywhere

I had the same issue with my ZSEV. Car brought to a complete standstill twice. Both times at very low speeds. Once with nothing on the road (or pavement) ahead and once in very heavy crawling traffic. Dealer reconfigured the forward collision system under warranty.

With all this tech on modern cars it's not surprising there are glitches in the systems. Answer always seem to be a reboot😉

Mine did it's first emergency braking yesterday, there were a car in front, it was turning, and there were plenty of room.

Normally it will beep to warn you, but this time it just slammed on the brakes and turned on the beeping at the same time.

Was a fairly low city speeds, i do not know what the reason was, but it certainly "took action".

Mine used to beep but now it does not it just slams brakes on nearly had a st focus in my boot on Wednesday afternoon, also the big screen that controls almost everything shuts down on its own , I rang jct600 this morning and booked it in for next Thursday morning, unless I get taken out before then :LOL:

I had this happen in my mg5 today. The car in front was making a sharp left hand turn and I was slowing and manoeuvring to go around him when the car just slammed on the brakes and and almost had the car behind me go through me. Really annoying.

So it happens with the HS, ZS and 5 - must be a common issue with the MG forward collision alert system. Wonder if anyone at MG is monitoring this issue across all cars in the range?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom