Driver's display too bright

Spaniard

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

For the first time since I got the car back in April I have had to drive at night.

Despite I turned the driver's display to the mininum (only high, medium and low?), it is way too bright for my eyes, blinding me.

Is it me or does it happens to someone else? I foresee myself buying some tinted matte film for it 😞 Any suggestion?

Also the seat is hurting my bottom: the plastic surrounding the seat controls stabs my right thight/buttock, and the left one is seating on something flat and hard. I had to buy a foam cushion which ruins all the fun and ergonomics...

Too many little inconveniences here and there when you take the car tired and grumpy from work!

Re. the seat cushion, that sounds like the exact reason why @Jester27 (?) rejected TWO cars. (I've had no problems with mine).

Re. screen brightness, I have mine set at minimum and yes - it is still a little too bright. But I don't find it uncomfortable.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are there some seats that are faulty then? I find mine perfectly comfortable.

I admit there isn't much night around here these days, but I have driven after dark a couple of times and didn't notice anything wrong with the driver's screen.

I've fitted an anti-glare screen to mine which helps to take the edge off.
I've got these on both screens they are brilliant, no glare , no fingerprints. All screens should come like this in my opinion.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are there some seats that are faulty then? I find mine perfectly comfortable.
Early on there were a few examples of this, such as the one @siteguru quoted, due to assembly errors in the factory. There were also seat stitching problems for some. In the last few months it has been very quiet about both issues.

Presumably this means the cars have improved, although later adopters will also be likely to be less fussy so might just be living with one or other issue.
I admit there isn't much night around here these days, but I have driven after dark a couple of times and didn't notice anything wrong with the driver's screen.
Mine is fine at night on the lower setting.

Early on there were a few examples of this, such as the one @siteguru quoted, due to assembly errors in the factory. There were also seat stitching problems for some. In the last few months it has been very quiet about both issues.

Presumably this means the cars have improved, although later adopters will also be likely to be less fussy so might just be living with one or other issue.

Mine is fine at night on the lower setting.

I think the seats are fine. The fabric seems to be of good quality and I like the blue stitching. I've put on seat covers, but that's to protect them (one-year warranty!!) especially from cat "accidents", and to lighten the interior. I'm totally happy with the comfort.

I haven't had any need to find out how to change the brightness on my driver's screen so I don't know if it's on its lowest setting or not.

I like your interior with those covers. Thinking about that for ours too.

It is easy to change brightness in the right hand joystick menus, I think there are only 3 levels to choose from and people have complained the lowest level is still too bright.

Maybe later in the year when you don't have 24 hour daylight and the polar bears are sleeping, you might notice it more up there! 😂🤣😂

Maybe. I had cataract surgery a year ago and my eyesight has been brilliant since then. One thing I noticed was that while I had been putting on every light in the house and still needed a spotlight to see what I was reading, I'm back to a couple of table lamps and no spotlight.

I do dazzle in sunshine and use sunglasses, but that has always been the case (I'm told it's a side-effect of blue eyes) and I don't think it's any worse than it always was. I just don't perceive the driver's screen as over-bright. In contrast, the first time I drove in the dark the infotainment screen drove me mad because I'd had it set on permanent daytime mode and didn't know how to change it!

Is there a solution for diming the ultra bright screens in the MG4 down to aceptable levels at night driving?
(Screens are dimed as far MG let me).

I turn of the infotainment screen but have to put somthing in front of the screen behind the steering wheel at night (put the car on ACC to keep the speed limits).
Have anyone stumbled over a solution to this?

Dark mode only lessens the assault on my retina's from the backlights of the screen. There's literally no way either screen is dimmable to a comfortable level for night time unlit roads

easy access to reduce the brightness or switch off the infotainment screen from this not so obvious drop down.

Thanks I already do this but it's still much brighter than I'd like. Also it kinda negates having a screen if you've gotta turn it off

The screen in front of the driver does not dim enough, I agree.

The larger screen does, just about, BUT whydoesn't it auto-dim?!? Other cars I have had have changed the screen brightness, ie dimming automatically at night. It's very poor design to have to do it manually.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back