Drivers seat stuck…

AdamskiEM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, bit embarrassing. Been working on the car, putting dashcam in. I think mist have rested against the seat adjustment switch to tilt it backwards (I didn’t notice until I’d finished working)

Now, it’s stuck all the way backwards! The forward and back, and up down adjustment work, just not the tilt… I’ve taken the fuse out and reseated it (confirmed it’s not blown, because taking it out stops the up down working).

Shut down the card started up again… still no joy. But stuck now as I can’t drive like this.

I’ve called AA, but with the weather I’m obviously not a priority.

In the meantime, anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried a bit of force behind it to push it forward at the same time as the switch...you probably have but got to ask

Yeah sort of. It’s really solid though, don’t want to push it too hard. I think the motor must have a lot of torque

There’s no click or anything, just totally dead

Are there any connectors underneath the seat base that have maybe come loose?

No noise is a bad "sound" if you get my drift..at least some sound would indicate the motor is powered.
You would hope the mechanism would have a stop buffer...but if the motor continues to run it could overheat. 🤞 the switch has just stopped working or something just needs reset
Personally with my knowledge I would pop the switch first and check continuity (hopefully the aa will try that) and if that is faulty its easy to short it to get the seat back in position allowing time for a replacement to be ordered. If its the motor hopefully its the same as other models...Good luck and let us know how you get on...hopefully it's something simple!!

Thanks, yeah I think it has probably burnt itself out.

If you try to adjust the up down, there’s no limit switch, you can hear the motor just keeps on trying and trying as long has you have your finger on the switch. More cost cutting I guess…

I wish I’d noticed that it was lowering when it happened, and I’d have caught it before it went too far.. :(

Well, let’s hope the AA person has a good idea.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back