Driver's window squeal

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
The driver's window had developed a squeal when opening and closing which had been annoying me for a couple of days. Finally got round to fixing it this morning with a quick squirt of silicon spray in the runners.
I gave the other window runners a quick squirt while I was at it together with the door mirrors, door hinges, tailgate hinges and strut ball joints, bonnet hinges and catch mechanism, charging flap hinge.....
.....anything else want a bit of lubrication? 😁

The driver's window had developed a squeal when opening and closing which had been annoying me for a couple of days. Finally got round to fixing it this morning with a quick squirt of silicon spray in the runners.
I gave the other window runners a quick squirt while I was at it together with the door mirrors, door hinges, tailgate hinges and strut ball joints, bonnet hinges and catch mechanism, charging flap hinge.....
What spray did you use and would you recommend it?

Wow, you needed to do that on a new car !..... in addition, could you please also spray some on dealerships, MG and SAIC to get the wheels of service between them running smoothly !

I am trying to get my Radio module disconnected fault sorted and have been told Richmond Southampton no longer service MG's they need to go somewhere in Botley. Still waiting for a call from the service manager.

Wow, you needed to do that on a new car !..... in addition, could you please also spray some on dealerships, MG and SAIC to get the wheels of service between them running smoothly !
I could think of a few other things that could do with a spray, wee bit loosening up needed

I am trying to get my Radio module disconnected fault sorted and have been told Richmond Southampton no longer service MG's they need to go somewhere in Botley. Still waiting for a call from the service manager.
I think it goes back to what a member said yesterday or earlier in the week, MG are struggling to get proper ev techs trained up.
And there is a general skill shortage and techs are getting poached by other brands

Mother on a bike !.... I have mine booked into them to have it updated in November... yes November... looks like i'll have to take it elsewhere now.
Going forward, looks like approved independent EV garages is the way to go.

I don't think there is enough lubricant in the world to get get that running smoothly.

Back to the problem. I think using Autoglym glass cleaner might have caused the rubber to become "too clean" causing a bit of friction between the glass and the rubber guides.

You do know you've posted on a thread about a squeaky driver's window on the MG4 forum?

I don't think there is enough lubricant in the world to get get that running smoothly.

Back to the problem. I think using Autoglym glass cleaner might have caused the rubber to become "too clean" causing a bit of friction between the glass and the rubber guides.
Ah, thanks, I use a glass cleaner from Supgard which seems to work well, but I'll keep an eye (or ear) out for that.

Gummi Pflege also stops door seals sticking when iced up over night in winter, especially on cars that dont have window frames. i.e. BMW Minis

It does exist😀 I have used on a number of cars after being advised to use on an old MX5 with tired rubber seals rather than replacing them. It worked surprisingly and as I said cars without frames where the glass touches the rubber door seals.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back