Driving aids?

There are quite a few of us older members who want none of this intrusive stuff at all. When I'm no longer capable of controlling the car myself it will be time to hand in my driving licence.
I take your point but the issue is not the systems and the areas that they target in order to prevent incidents - these will continue to expand and in some cases save lives.
It’s the fact that the current crop of systems, in many instances, don’t work that well - up to the point where they can actually be a distraction or in some cases actually dangerous.
Public confidence in these systems at the moment is quite rightly not great. It seems in a rush to get them out there they are considerably under performing and not sufficiently tested or set up correctly.
There seems little point in introducing a system (LKA for example) where for the majority of users the first thing that they will look to do before driving is turn it off, because they feel safer with it off.

In some ways it seems we are being used as guinea pigs to help develop these systems, as opposed to a complete pre development program. There are plenty of disclaimers in the user manual to protect the company and many different situations quoted were the systems will not work correctly all of which could be encountered in a 10 mile trip. Will they keep automatically keep disengaging and reapplying with small flashing icons and bongs so we do not know if we are being assisted or not?

I take your point but the issue is not the systems and the areas that they target in order to prevent incidents - these will continue to expand and in some cases save lives.
It’s the fact that the current crop of systems, in many instances, don’t work that well - up to the point where they can actually be a distraction or in some cases actually dangerous.
Public confidence in these systems at the moment is quite rightly not great. It seems in a rush to get them out there they are considerably under performing and not sufficiently tested or set up correctly.
There seems little point in introducing a system (LKA for example) where for the majority of users the first thing that they will look to do before driving is turn it off, because they feel safer with it off.
The problem is indeed this transition period.

Ultimately cars will drive themselves and accidents will be virtually eliminated. But we are a long way away from that - despite all the hype.

In the meantime, every safety system whatever its benefits has two negative side effects - it deskills drivers from being able to handle situations and it encourages complacency/risky behaviour in the belief the car will prevent an accident.

Some systems are a net win, others are not. ABS has significantly reduced people's ability to understand and control a car's braking themselves but very few people would argue that it hasn't saved many lives.

Rather than plastering NCAP with new safety systems, there needs to be a much more considered approach to only require those systems which are a proven net win.

This I agree with.
I see so many people driving fast now, people who wouldn’t have driven fast before because they didn’t have the skills.
They think they’re invincible now.
Totally agree. The standard of driving by so people is little short of spalling. And I have to say that the majority seem to be Van drivers who don't have to pay for the fuel.

If we skip forwards 20 years will my MG4 become a classic because it still has a steering wheel. Whilst other cars are joining a train of similarly GPS connected cars all doing exactly the same speed 10 metres apart whilst the "drivers" are semi conscience to there surrounding's will I be allowed to travel on motorways or A roads with my now 30 mile battery range . Back to now.
I,m also a biker and go out just for the pleasure of riding ,round trip, no destination necessary , also I like to drive in a manner which is safe but satisfying using experience and accumulated skills, I guess I,m not alone in this although the bureaucrats and safety police would like to reduce us all down to the lowest common denominators of society and even if you remove humans from the equation machinery and technology still breaks.
Being a biker you know if you have an accident its going to hurt or worse , so you have to ride with that knowledge , its been said before but the best safety device in a car would be a 9 inch steel spike stuck out of the steering wheel.
Back to 2043 imagine what the car chase scene is going to be like in the new James Bond film or a new re-make of Bullet?

The Megane is crap
You may be correct because Renault is crap! MG and Renault are the Aldi and Lidl of car manufacturers.
Renault are quite rightly deserving of their crap reputation they have learned nothing from years of F1 and the years Zoe's have been on the road.
My car is incontinent, it dribbles everywhere, it's tried killing me, it loves me so much it stops me from leaving it, it forgets stuff but then suddenly remembers and has to suddenly stop in the middle of the road to tell me and dont tell the cops but Renault's come with a secret hidey hole underneath where I can hide stuff.
Oh wait🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel