hotcfdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Any tips?

Not sure how the go kart is going to cope. MG ZS EV MK1

2B34C59F-15F2-4BD4-A8B2-5B4FC997A4C9.jpeg

Just posted this elsewhere today. I can't speak for the ZS but the MG5 is very light on the front end due to not having an engine anymore. This means it likes to slip and slide more than some other cars and care needs to be taken.
There's a golden rule for winter driving in all cars that says give yourself more time approaching junctions and take it easy approaching bends. This applies to EVs but with extra care needed.
Check your tyres properly, don't just assume they are good because the bit you can see easily is good.
I drive a lot and in winter I take a small bucket of salty grit, a small snow shovel and extra screen wash, all of which I had to use last year.

I agree with everything that @5teep says apart from

the MG5 is very light on the front end due to not having an engine anymore.

It may be in comparison to a similar FWD ICE but is actually very well balanced with almost exactly 50% at each end. But so do most BMW and we know what they are like in snow. ;)

Here in the North of Scotland, snow in winter isn't exactly a rarity. My experience so far with the MG5 LR is that it copes pretty well in winter conditions (or, as the Daily Express calls it, Snowpocalypse). I posted this just over a year ago:-

Managed 3.1 miles/kWh early on Saturday morning. Inverness --> Aviemore --> Boat of Garten (37 miles). Pitch dark at first (days are short here) but wintry throughout, so lights on, heater on 25C, heated rear window at times, wipers on, demist at times, satnav on. Speed average 30mph - around 55mph leaving Inverness, down to 12mph by the time we reached Slochd summit. Mostly in falling snow, at Slochd a complete white-out blizzard, and not a particle of grit on the road. Very impressed with how the car coped.

View attachment 5881

IMG-20221212-WA0002.jpg

That's my street on Monday, still looks the same today.
My mg5 covers it flawlessly.

Resurrecting this thread as it seems winter has arrived this year, and I have learned the hard way that my 2021 MG5 EV is as much use as a potato when it comes to driving on ice and I’m now stuck in the Lake District.

So I have a question following on from the previous - on the topic of tyres, as the power goes to the front, is it advisable to put All Season or Winter tyres on the front, and leave the back as the existing summer tyres? Only because they’ve a new set on them and £150 a piece is a pretty penny to replace nearly new tyres all round. Or do you have to keep the same type consistent on all 4?

Gotcha. Issue I‘ve faced tonight is because I can’t turn off the TCS, my front wheels just very slowly spin in place, even on flat areas and I can’t get that bit of spin that’s sometimes useful to clear the thin ice layer on the road to set off, so having that better grip on the front to be able to move off and stop with better traction will make a reasonable difference at the moment. (I’m up in Ulverston now.)

Also because of Sod’s law, if I buy expensive tyres, you’ll all get to enjoy a warm clear winter because I won’t end up needing them, so that’s a bonus for everyone else!

In my previous cars (which were FWD) I always preferred the better tyres (i.e. with more tread) on the driving wheels. (Even though general wisdom is to have them on the rear as people can generally control a front slide - understeer - than they can a rear slide - oversteer).

I assume not being able to turn off TCS / ESC must be an MG5 thing, as I can certainly turn it off in my MG4.

Edit: it looks like you can turn it off; and in the same way we do in the MG4 (although this may depend on which version of MG5 you have):

My son-in-law who has a Tesla Model 3 was complaining the other morning that EVs are crap in snow. He had spun it twice.
I pointed out it was more probably his heavy right foot, and the fact that many younger people might have never driven a rear wheel drive car before.

My son-in-law who has a Tesla Model 3 was complaining the other morning that EVs are crap in snow. He had spun it twice.
I pointed out it was more probably his heavy right foot, and the fact that many younger people might have never driven a rear wheel drive car before.
All weather tyres? Probably not.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom