AliveandKicking

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
If you set the setting for driving with 1 pedal on a fully loaded MG, this setting does not work, this setting only works when you apparently have 85% battery capacity. Is it correct that this setting is completely linked to energy recovery because it seems that if this setting works, it automatically stops at a traffic light (not an extra push on the brake to activate the parking) and brakes more strongly than the set value in regeneration.
It is a pity that he does not do "driving with 1 pedal" directly from a full battery or that that setting has to be activated every time at 85% battery capacity. In my opinion, driving with a pedal should always work and that the software, for example, will automatically regenerate at 95% battery capacity. I hope that MG will adjust this in the future

If you set the setting for driving with 1 pedal on a fully loaded MG, this setting does not work, this setting only works when you apparently have 85% battery capacity. Is it correct that this setting is completely linked to energy recovery because it seems that if this setting works, it automatically stops at a traffic light (not an extra push on the brake to activate the parking) and brakes more strongly than the set value in regeneration.
It is a pity that he does not do "driving with 1 pedal" directly from a full battery or that that setting has to be activated every time at 85% battery capacity. In my opinion, driving with a pedal should always work and that the software, for example, will automatically regenerate at 95% battery capacity. I hope that MG will adjust this in the future
Where do you suggest the energy being generated goes if the battery is already at 100%?

I can use OPD at anything under 90% SOC - sometimes a bit lower than that when the outside temperature is sub zero.

It's no big deal but I do agree it should keep the OPD setting on permanently in the menu, especially Custom Mode but hey ho .... we have to spend a few seconds anyway turning LKA off etc... so what's one more setting !! 🤷‍♂️

Where do you suggest the energy being generated goes if the battery is already at 100%?
It's a novice member innocently asking a question. There is regen feedback even in level 3 whilst the battery is showing as 100% - this is probably another reason why there is a buffer is the battery. The BMS will decide whether to top up the battery or not.

Hi Johnb80, before I had an Ampera E, and it always was able to drive with one pedal at 100% energy capacity. The regeneration started at about 90% so I think it used the resistance of the electric motor to brake. And the regeneration kicking in by software. How I don't know but it has been invented and is used by other brands already. It makes life just a little bit easier.

Hi Johnb80, before I had an Ampera E, and it always was able to drive with one pedal at 100% energy capacity. The regeneration started at about 90% so I think it used the resistance of the electric motor to brake. And the regeneration kicking in by software. How I don't know but it has been invented and is used by other brands already. It makes life just a little bit easier.
Some EV's have some headroom left in battery charge, my i3 for example although it says 100% on the gauges in real terms it's only 90% capacity in the cells so it does have somewhere to dump power. The problem with regen at high level SOC is the voltage you would have to get to in order to push the power at high rate into the batteries to get meaningful braking. The higher the state of charge, the higher the voltage and a much greater voltage needed for the system. During full regen braking the MG4 will be producing energy at a rate of 60kW, this has to go somewhere. You will notice the rate of charge when batteries are nearly full drops off rapidly, that's the BMS system protecting the cells by not exceeding their maximum voltage; the exact same thing would occur in regen braking, BMS would say nope, youre putting your energy this way and all the system can do is to coast.

A more-intelligent system would use the brakes until there was spare capacity for regen to work. :)
My old BMW i3 used to do exactly that. OPD all the time regardless of state of charge. If the discs had light surface rust from standing you could hear the physical brakes come on at 100% charge when just lifting the accelerator.

My old BMW i3 used to do exactly that. OPD all the time regardless of state of charge. If the discs had light surface rust from standing you could hear the physical brakes come on at 100% charge when just lifting the accelerator.
My Nissan Leaf does exactly that as well.

I have an SE model with a 51kW LFP battery.

The one-pedal mode is a bit frustrating. Not only I can’t activate OPM when the battery SoC exceeds 80%, but below 10/15°C, it won’t engage either until the battery is warm. I can mitigate this issue by using the battery pre-heating option, but this feature consumes unnecessary power.

Last edited:
I agree. But there's another problem that shocked me when I test drove the MG4. The OPD cannot be engaged in reverse gear. It was "What??? OMG!! ..." moment. ;)
Also, similar problems with the undertray, as already reported in this forum, can be seen in the picture below.

Attachments

• Pleh.jpg
    Pleh.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 46

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member