Ebay V2L cable

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Has anyone bought one of these from this supplier and does it work (please?)
1000008225.png

That's very cheap for a type 2 plug, 13A socket and a cable. How long is the cable? I would be suspicious.
Yup, I am suspicious, hence the query. They don't just do MG and all of their feedback is very positive. Even more suspicious was an offer that came through in the early hours of this morning, as I was 'watching' it, for a fiver all in, incl. P&p. 🤔

Getting even more suspicious. Provider has just refunded me and cancelled the order ( a fiver, I couldn't not 😂), giving the reason for cancelling being something wrong with my address ( there isn't) - I've made further enquiries... 🤔

Apparently they tried to set up a discount to 93% of original price and the system sent out offers of 93% off original price. A subtle difference but one that became more complicated the more they tried to resolve it 🤔
Anyway, they'd responded immediately and concisely to my query so I may well be going back when I've got the car 😁👍.
Original query stands.
Anyone tried them?
Are they any good ?
Thanks.

I'd be slightly concerned that an V2L adaptor that can supposedly handle 3kW is so cheap. What corners have been cut?

Good Morning @DaevM

If mine is the same (and I think it is) no issues here.

Mine has been in use nearly every night for the last 3 months.

It powers a battery charger connected to my 500Ah Solar Battery Bank.

I plug in a 40 meter extension cable (fully unwound)
The car is 35 meters away from my battery bank.

I end up with 215 volts at the charger due to cable losses.

I repeat zero issues. 👍

Screenshot_20240228_083848_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_084452_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_084748_eBay.jpg

Oh and ignore the being charged to over 80% bollox.
I don't even know what they are tying to say???

You can set a 'minimum' discharge level if you want.

Mine is 20% to make sure I can still get to a charger.

The car discharges circa10% per night.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a 2V drop across the extension cable? (The V2L output is about 217VAC - right at the low end of allowable grid voltage variation).

I'm going to get you to explain that to me one day. For the last 5 years I've been on solar/ 5kWh domestic battery, obviously still connected to grid. Use virtually no grid April-Nov, then charge domestic battery from grid at cheap rate overnight for remainder. Certainly significantly cheaper than pre solar/battery..... Like the look of your set-up though, and genuinely off-grid. Have you got a turbine? ( Thinking West Wales wind/rain 😉)

I'm going to get you to explain that to me one day. For the last 5 years I've been on solar/ 5kwh domestic battery, obviously still connected to grid. Use virtually no grid April-Nov, then charge domestic battery from grid at cheap rate overnight for remainder. Certainly significantly cheaper thr pre solar/battery..... Like the look of your set-up though, and genuinely off-grid. Have you got a turbine? ( Thinking West Wales wind/rain 😉)

🤣 Yes! Tell me about it!!

There are a number of posts on here in various threads explaining my set up and not even I can find them when I want to!😵‍💫

I live in a wooded valley at the bottom of a hill, so a turbine has not been a priority for me.

This is my first winter with the V2L option so am unsure of exact costings at the moment.

Although I do know that I am making considerable savings over the LPG/Petrol generator I have employed for the previous 4 winters.

It has been an excellent addition to my off grid experience and instead of just one back up, I now have 3.

We do have power cuts in the area quite often when the weather is bad, and it is 99% falling trees causing the problem.

Doesn't affect me (he said smugly)👍🤣

As the days start to lengthen, I won't need to plug in at all.

5kW Solar (sometimes!!) and a 500Ah battery bank will see to that.

20240201_124749.jpg

All my own work don't cha know.

Known locally as Bodgett and Scarper 👍🤣

Edit. Yes it could be tidier.
Don't have a go.🤣

I'd be slightly concerned that an V2L adaptor that can supposedly handle 3kW is so cheap. What corners have been cut?
For starters, there is no cord, so that saves a bunch. 16A isn't that high a current, so not much copper or brass needed. The rest is plastic and a 10p resistor. And: low development costs; the design is no doubt "borrowed" from other products.

There isn't much more in it than a fancy double adapter. Though of course double adapters are made in far higher volume.

For starters, there is no cord, so that saves a bunch. 16A isn't that high a current, so not much copper or brass needed. The rest is plastic and a 10p resistor. And: low development costs; the design is no doubt "borrowed" from other products.

There isn't much more in it than a fancy double adapter. Though of course double adapters are made in far higher volume.
...and probably made in china... and as we all know 😉👍

In action.
Not exploded, melted, fused anything, caught fire, fell out, broken or failed in anyway.

View attachment 24452

Edit: Left it like this in torrential downpours for hours.
No problem.
Good to know that leaving it in wet conditions hasn’t caused an issue. I’m sure that was a worry for a lot of people…myself included!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom