Ebay V2L cable

For starters, there is no cord, so that saves a bunch. 16A isn't that high a current, so not much copper or brass needed. The rest is plastic and a 10p resistor. And: low development costs; the design is no doubt "borrowed" from other products.

There isn't much more in it than a fancy double adapter. Though of course double adapters are made in far higher volume.
So does the vehicle have a "proper" inverter between the battery and the connector? In other words does it generate a nice clean sine wave? When I connect a petrol generator to my house electrics, many of the house LEDs flicker. Obviously a very dirty voltage there.

Attachments

• PXL_20240304_134828749.jpg
    PXL_20240304_134828749.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240304_134823871.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240304_134823871.MP.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240304_134752108.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240304_134752108.MP.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 21
🤣 Yes! Tell me about it!!

There are a number of posts on here in various threads explaining my set up and not even I can find them when I want to!😵‍💫

I live in a wooded valley at the bottom of a hill, so a turbine has not been a priority for me.

This is my first winter with the V2L option so am unsure of exact costings at the moment.

Although I do know that I am making considerable savings over the LPG/Petrol generator I have employed for the previous 4 winters.

It has been an excellent addition to my off grid experience and instead of just one back up, I now have 3.

We do have power cuts in the area quite often when the weather is bad, and it is 99% falling trees causing the problem.

Doesn't affect me (he said smugly)👍🤣

As the days start to lengthen, I won't need to plug in at all.

5kW Solar (sometimes!!) and a 500Ah battery bank will see to that.

View attachment 24407

All my own work don't cha know.

Known locally as Bodgett and Scarper 👍🤣

Edit. Yes it could be tidier.
Don't have a go.🤣
I've seen tidier installations, however if it works then that is the biggest hurdle.

I served my time as an Electronic Engineer and was the engineering manager for a LV Switchgear company, you can always come back later and tidy it BUT if it isn't working you will never leave :ROFLMAO:

I've seen tidier installations, however if it works then that is the biggest hurdle.

I served my time as an Electronic Engineer and was the engineering manager for a LV Switchgear company, you can always come back later and tidy it BUT if it isn't working you will never leave :ROFLMAO:

Been here 5 years and my setup has more than paid for itself.

All gravy now and my diligent battery management will hopefully see the battery bank lasting for a good few years to come.

Oh, and it is now much tidier! 🤣

So does the vehicle have a "proper" inverter between the battery and the connector? In other words does it generate a nice clean sine wave?
I don't have V2L on my ZS Mark 1, so I haven't checked, but I'm 99.5% sure it will be a good sine wave. It will be using the on board charger's Power Factor Correction circuit plus another transistor, and the PFC stage has to present a sine wave (of current drawn when charging), so it would be little trouble to generate a proper sine wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know that leaving it in wet conditions hasn’t caused an issue. I’m sure that was a worry for a lot of people…myself included!
I have just ordered this adapter. I expect contact and screw corrosion to occur long term. Before I actually purchased an EV I left the charger cable out with the dust cap on for about 7 months. When I took the cap off, green water poured out and one contact had significant surface corrosion build up. Once cleaned up it still worked though it's lifetime will be reduced. So much for IP55 rating.

I have just ordered this adapter. I expect contact and screw corrosion to occur long term. Before I actually purchased an EV I left the charger cable out with the dust cap on for about 7 months. When I took the cap off, green water poured out and one contact had significant surface corrosion build up. Once cleaned up it still worked though it's lifetime will be reduced. So much for IP55 rating.
I used it myself last week in the rain during a power cut - no issues whatsoever. As you say, the screws will likely rust over time, as there’s no chance they’ll be galvanised in any way shape or form, but it won’t affect the adapter.

The only way I can see the contacts suffering corrosion is if you allow them to get wet and don’t dry them off afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom