Eco,N or S and Kers 1,2 or 3 research

It makes the software element safety critical and that vastly increases cost and complexity. I've worked for a long time in safety critical system design and the general rule is to avoid software dependence if it is physically possible to do so.
Good (safe) design would be to make the core functionality of braking software independent.
As all have said above, there is a failsafe. If all else fails pressing the pedal will stop you providing both the hydraulic systems don't have leaks. No different to any other car on the road since abs became commonplace. The only difference is that there is now an electric brake that operates first if possible to store the energy instead of throwing it away as heat. We've been doing it in industrial machines for many many years.

I don't think 'regenerative braking' requires use of friction between the pads and the disks', you have totally misunderstood, and please point out where you think I have said that.
I am saying that when braking, i.e using friction between the pads and the disks, then increased regeneration happens as a consequence of braking/slowing down.

What I find illogical is that applying the footbrake does not apply the brakes, but applies regen only for a period before applying the friction brakes. If I think I need to apply the brakes I don't want the car saying 'oh hold on there........ I'll try a bit of regen first and see if that works!

Unless using two footed driving, the very nature of lifting off the throttle and moving the foot to the brake pedal will have started the regen process anyway. The addition of further friction based retardation will then increase the regen strength as can be witnessed on the power screen.
As regards to the computerisation being optimised for maximum energy recovery when braking, personally I would prefer the optimisation to be towards the braking and stopping the car.
I would welcome any evidence/documentation to support your theories.
Deceleration doesn't cause regen, regen causes deceleration. The more friction there is in the hydraulic braking system, the less energy can be recovered through the electromagnetic system. That's simple physics: more of one means less of the other.

It's not a case of trying it to see if it works, it's an algorithmic process based on the status of the battery and the travel of the pedal. If you press it firmly then you'll get immediate friction. The car will try to maximise regen while applying the desired level of deceleration dictated by the pedal.

And it's certainly not perfect. There are situations where regen is suddenly reduced (when one wheel loses traction, like if you go over a big bump) and the effect is a sudden reduction in deceleration.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom