Eco vs Normal; efficiency.

Do you get better efficiency in Eco or Normal mode?

• Total voters

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have done 1300 miles in my ZS so far and almost all of them in Eco mode. I don't mind Eco mode as it's smooth and promotes relaxed driving.

Tonight I did a trip in Eco and then the exact same journey in Normal mode.
Everything was the same - heater, heated seats, stereo, max regen and using ACC at all times.

I found the journey on Eco was giving an efficiency of 3mp/KW but Normal gave me 3.3mp/KW.

So do you guys notice similar efficiency gains when out of Eco mode?

I hardly ever use the ECO Mode. As long as i can control my right foot, then I don't think I need it😄. Some say the heater will work differently, have u noticed anything about that?

I hardly ever use the ECO Mode. As long as i can control my right foot, then I don't think I need it😄. Some say the heater will work differently, have u noticed anything about that?
I know the heater is supposed to be reduced in efficacy in Eco mode in the name of efficiency, but I can't say as I notice a difference to be honest - I've always been impressed how quickly it defrosts/defogs. So much quicker to work than my ICE Renault Scenic!

I know the heater is supposed to be reduced in efficacy in Eco mode in the name of efficiency, but I can't say as I notice a difference to be honest - I've always been impressed how quickly it defrosts/defogs. So much quicker to work than my ICE Renault Scenic!
Yea, an electric car is really nice in winter time, so easy to heat up and defrost.

Yea, an electric car is really nice in winter time, so easy to heat up and defrost.
I was disappointed with the fact it didn't come with a heat pump (like my tumble dryer!) But there's no denying the efficacy of the older style heating system!

I have done 1300 miles in my ZS so far and almost all of them in Eco mode. I don't mind Eco mode as it's smooth and promotes relaxed driving.

Everything was the same - heater, heated seats, stereo, max regen and using ACC at all times.

I found the journey on Eco was giving an efficiency of 3mp/KW but Normal gave me 3.3mp/KW.

Me too completed 1,400km and always driven in eco mode . It does increases driving range by 10-15%, I observed

Did you do the tests back to back? If so I’m assuming you stated with a cold car (and battery) on the Eco run and then the car was more warmed up for the N run after it. To get a true test you’d need to either pre heat the car (and then zero out the trip before you start) or try and replicate the same journey on two consecutive days (that can be tricky due to change of temp).

my experience with Eco that I rarely see an actual difference in range achieved than N mode, but if I have my wife in the back of the car with my son I always use it as the softer torque helps with motion sickness.

I aways drive in Eco mode, except in this cold weather, when I start off in Normal...to warm the car up quickly. When I go back to Eco and notice a distinct reduction in heat...but that's OK.
I too think it drives more smoothly in Eco. If I feel like being a hooligan.....I can go into Normal.....or even Sport!

I personally use a mixture of Normal and Eco mode. I mostly use N, when turn on to a main road where cars driving at 30 mph, if I keep Eco, they seems to be getting too close to me, as it takes time to get to 30. I change to Eco mode when reaches 30 and maintain speed at the time.

Wow. I don’t know how you stand all the faffing about. I just leave in N. Why would you keep swapping around unless you really needed the range. 🙃😂

India, Mumbai, pretty warm even in the winters... I always use Eco mode (i wish it started on Eco mode), it definitely adds ~5% to the overall range and makes the drive little smoother overall. NEVER tried sports mode, may be today I will.

For any one whos had theirs thro a summer .does the a/c in summer affect the range as much as the heaters 10% ish in winter

Sorry - predictive typing - Mumbai!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom