Eco vs Normal; efficiency.

Do you get better efficiency in Eco or Normal mode?

• Total voters
I don't think ECO adds anything to the range, it's the way you drive that does. ECO just remaps the accelerator pedal so you have to press it more to get the same acceleration. The map is something like this.
Pedal map.png

I think that it might tweak the heating/aircon too - not sure about what else it does.

It also affects the steering for city driving..
The main reason I leave mine in eco all the time is the steering weight, I prefer it to normal and I find the sport setting to be unpleasantly heavily weighted. Its a big oversight not allowing independent steering modes, as Id love to be able to whizz around in sport when in the mood, but keep the nice light steering of the current eco steering.

I wonder why the steering is lighter in eco?

The main reason I leave mine in eco all the time is the steering weight, I prefer it to normal and I find the sport setting to be unpleasantly heavily weighted. Its a big oversight not allowing independent steering modes, as Id love to be able to whizz around in sport when in the mood, but keep the nice light steering of the current eco steering.
Yes that could be a nice update for the future

I think that it might tweak the heating/aircon too - not sure about what else it does.
It puts the heating in a reduced power setting, makes the steering lighter, affects the acceleration and also if you use the ACC it accelerates slower up to your set speed compared to normal or sport.

Is it relatively more efficient to drive in eco mode on the motorway or freeway? Asking this because the car has to already deal with the wind drag effect caused due to high speed but the eco mode at least reduces the power consumed by the HVAC. On the other hand, have heard in some quarters that normal mode is best for motorway driving. What is the group's point of view on this?

Wow. I don’t know how you stand all the faffing about. I just leave in N. Why would you keep swapping around unless you really needed the range. 🙃😂
You made a good point, range is not an issue as I don't normally do long distance and have no range anxiety. Only driven 150 since purchase , I assume trying out different modes and combinations. Anyhow, I like 'N' drive mode for better pick up, better control and has light feel, where as 'Eco' mode feels heavy.

Ive done less than 200miles but had about 10% better efficiency today as was warmer at 8C compared to the close to zero for the past week.

Yes - i noticed a change today with the lift in temperature - those batteries don’t like the cold 🥶

I have done 1300 miles in my ZS so far and almost all of them in Eco mode. I don't mind Eco mode as it's smooth and promotes relaxed driving.

Tonight I did a trip in Eco and then the exact same journey in Normal mode.
Everything was the same - heater, heated seats, stereo, max regen and using ACC at all times.

I found the journey on Eco was giving an efficiency of 3mp/KW but Normal gave me 3.3mp/KW.

So do you guys notice similar efficiency gains when out of Eco mode?
Mine is exactly the same as yours!

I got up to 3.8 miles per KWh today coming back from Hastings....it was 10 degrees and that was A roads with heating and fans on too. It’s getting back to what I consider my normal expectations.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom