Efficiency test - miles to KWh

Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Interesting results this morning, which I thought I’d share, please see the attached photos..I did a test this morning to see the difference in KWH with heating on and difference in speed, outside temp 3 - 4 degrees

Test 1
Heating on and mainly 70 mph on the motor way to Sheppy - 43.5 miles (average speed 50 mph) = 2.7 KWh and estimated range of 120 miles

Test 2
Heating off (Seat heating on only) and mainly 60 mph on the motor way from Sheppy - 47.1 miles (average speed 49 mph) = 4 kWh and estimated range of 178 miles

It just goes to show the difference and lost range (approximately 58 miles) by driving faster and using the heaters. This tells me to use your seat heaters where possible and only use the HV heaters when absolutely necessary it increase your range and reduce costs. The difference in travel time about 6 minutes by driving slower but increase distance is substantially increased.

I hope you all find this interesting. ?

Attachments

• 1FCDAC6C-B7A5-41CB-878D-C1475DDBAD0A.jpeg
    1FCDAC6C-B7A5-41CB-878D-C1475DDBAD0A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 126
  • ECB12330-1EA4-409A-81ED-C2B7FDB41B77.jpeg
    ECB12330-1EA4-409A-81ED-C2B7FDB41B77.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 129
Interesting results this morning, which I thought I’d share, please see the attached photos..I did a test this morning to see the difference in KWH with heating on and difference in speed, outside temp 3 - 4 degrees

Test 1
Heating on and mainly 70 mph on the motor way to Sheppy - 43.5 miles (average speed 50 mph) = 2.7 KWh and estimated range of 120 miles

Test 2
Heating off (Seat heating on only) and mainly 60 mph on the motor way from Sheppy - 47.1 miles (average speed 49 mph) = 4 kWh and estimated range of 178 miles

It just goes to show the difference and lost range (approximately 58 miles) by driving faster and using the heaters. This tells me to use your seat heaters where possible and only use the HV heaters when absolutely necessary it increase your range and reduce costs. The difference in travel time about 6 minutes by driving slower but increase distance is substantially increased.

I hope you all find this interesting. ?

That is interesting. I'd expect the majority of the difference to be down to the speed rather than using the heating. My observations on the limited motorway use I've done so far. A sustained run at 60 for over 100 miles brought back 3.8 This was on a cooler day, about 12c. Whilst the only fast run I've ever done in the car, a 30 mile dash at 70 to 80 at about 20c temperature brought back 2.7. No use of heating in either case if I recall rightly.

That is interesting. I'd expect the majority of the difference to be down to the speed rather than using the heating. My observations on the limited motorway use I've done so far. A sustained run at 60 for over 100 miles brought back 3.8 This was on a cooler day, about 12c. Whilst the only fast run I've ever done in the car, a 30 mile dash at 70 to 80 at about 20c temperature brought back 2.7. No use of heating in either case if I recall rightly.
Perhaps I need to reverse the test next time to see the comparison with heating at 60 mph and 70 mph without heating..

Interesting test. What I can't understand is that when you switch on the fan with the temperature set to neutral, the mileage drop is still significant. I have noticed that when either the heater or ac is on, after some time, the loss of range narrows as the temperature inside the car reaches the selected temperature.

@Mark Holmes,
Hi Mark,
I am wondering if you have arranged to have all your updates done including the new comfort update. It may be interesting to redo your test then so we can elicited any efficiency improvements from the software updates. There is much talk from our European members as to how performance and range improved after the comfort 2 update.

Yes all the updates will be done and I can try and do another exercise before the update is applied, but will do it near the time with hopefully similar weather temp conditions as I’ve noticed this make a fair difference with the recent higher temperatures.

@Mark Holmes
Thanks. We will await the results.
I am personally a bit frustrated with the difficulty we are having with updates. I contacted the MG Dealership nearest to me this morning. They are unaware of any updates so they are going to find out and let me know. I think this particular Dealership seems to have only one person who knows about ZS EV. So it becomes an absolute waste of time talking to them when that person is unavailable. I will wait a few days and phone again and if they are still unhelpful, I will contact Chorley Group and do the long trek to them to get the car seen to.

@Mark Holmes
Thanks. We will await the results.
I am personally a bit frustrated with the difficulty we are having with updates. I contacted the MG Dealership nearest to me this morning. They are unaware of any updates so they are going to find out and let me know. I think this particular Dealership seems to have only one person who knows about ZS EV. So it becomes an absolute waste of time talking to them when that person is unavailable. I will wait a few days and phone again and if they are still unhelpful, I will contact Chorley Group and do the long trek to them to get the car seen to.
Agreed, but hopefully as the brand becomes more established it will become easier...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom