Electric windows on MG4

Edward Xuereb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
If one leaves accidentally a window open and locks the car, is the car suppose to shut the window automatically on locking? Mine does not do it.

If one leaves accidentally a window open and locks the car, is the car suppose to shut the window automatically on locking? Mine does not do it.
No, I tried that in the first week. My 2002 Octavia would shut the windows on locking, or you could use the key in the lock to open all or close all windows.

It would be great if it did close then on locking.

Does the app tell you the window status, only ask as on my wife's new Mini electric the app lets you know if any of the windows are open

Does the app tell you the window status, only ask as on my wife's new Mini electric the app lets you know if any of the windows are open
I believe the 2nd gen ZS did, but ISTR someone saying it had gone from the app after an update.
The original MG5 SR Exclusive has the global opening and closing of the windows from the keyfob, but no app.

I think they're in a position that's easy to touch by accident.

The only time my passenger side window went right down I was staying at a spa hotel, and found a note from reception asking me to close my car window because the porter hadn't been able to wash it!

I have heard a window go down a little as I've been getting out of the car, and noticed my hand near the switches. I pulled them all up and heard a little noise of a window closing a couple of cm.

I think it's one of those "backwards moments" when in excess of 20 years ago, a good idea was executed by a group of manufacturers (in this particular case, of vehicles). Instead of running with it and adopting it widely, the idea has either only been kept by that group or sometimes dropped altogether.

My case of having the EE linked to the alarm system on my Octavia so that when you lock the car, any windows left open are briefly powered up and closed.

They also had a handy feature where If you twist and hold the key in a lock, it will open or close all the windows simultaneously. Do VAG cars still?

I think it's one of those "backwards moments" when in excess of 20 years ago, a good idea was executed by a group of manufacturers (in this particular case, of vehicles). Instead of running with it and adopting it widely, the idea has either only been kept by that group or sometimes dropped altogether.
Could be linked to leaving dogs in a car - you wouldn't want to leave the windows fully closed on a hot day if you needed to leave a dog in the car for some time. Although on my old Astra you could automatically open and close the windows using a long press on the key fob if you'd enabled that feature.

Anyway, the window controls in the MG4 are in a stupid place that is very easy to hit when opening the door from the inside. There's no obvious solution other than being aware of this and remembering to check each time you get out. I'm also not a fan of the switch disabling the rear passenger window controls resetting each time. I have badly behaved children.

So, I guess, we will need to install some "Automatic window closer" in order to get the glass raised upon car locking. But, we need to know what kind of "interface" is used in MG4.

Old cars used simple "Motor-to-3-way-Button" wiring, with just a pair of Power-wires from each motor. Thus, intergation with the "auto-closing" unit was quite simple. Newer cars can use some sort of "Analogue" signal from buttons to "Driver+Motor" assembly, or even CAN-bus commands. Or, the old good "2 wires"! ;-)

So, has anyone here got into WindowRaiser-Buttons unit, and guessed the type of control?

PS: Our family does NOT have dogs or small children, so "leaving in a closed cabin" is irrelevant for us.

Had my MG4 just over a week.
Managed to walk away from the car the time with one or more windows down after locking.

I seem to catch the switches in getting out of the car. It's not necessarily a design fault positioning- wise, but the switches have very little resistance and are very easily triggered.....

Had my MG4 just over a week.
Managed to walk away from the car the time with one or more windows down after locking.

I seem to catch the switches in getting out of the car. It's not necessarily a design fault positioning- wise, but the switches have very little resistance and are very easily triggered.....
Yeah, it’s happened to my wife and me upon exiting the car. We’re getting better at not accidentally catching the switches and as siteguru has said, I’ve gotten into the habit of making sure all the windows are up after stopping.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back