• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Electronic hand brake - completely stuck on !

My car switches straight to park mode if you attempt to move it with a door open.
Good safety feature.

My MG5 is only 5 weeks old and I have had countless problems with the handbrake ( first time being the morning after I brought it home ), CarPlay, screen making a crackling noise then going off and the sos call button. Scariest was the handbrake as I released it Manually I had no control over the steering and it began rolling backwards ! I was told if I needed a car it would be two weeks before they could look at it ! So I am still waiting to take it!
I haven’t touched the auto hold either.

Scariest was the handbrake as I released it Manually I had no control over the steering and it began rolling backwards !
Just wondering, since I had similar happen on my ZS. Did you have the car fully started before trying to take the brake off?

I had just finished charging mine a while back, and after taking the cable off, I jumped into the car, but forgot to press the start button with foot on the pedal (I'd been instandby whilst charging). The car might look like it's ready to go, but the HV battery is disconnected, so it will allow the brakes to come off, but there will be no drive, brake or steering assistance. Not always easy to see the ready light or the HV pack warning light if the lighting is right 😕

Just wondering, since I had similar happen on my ZS. Did you have the car fully started before trying to take the brake off?

I had just finished charging mine a while back, and after taking the cable off, I jumped into the car, but forgot to press the start button with foot on the pedal (I'd been instandby whilst charging). The car might look like it's ready to go, but the HV battery is disconnected, so it will allow the brakes to come off, but there will be no drive, brake or steering assistance. Not always easy to see the ready light or the HV pack warning light if the lighting is right 😕
No definitely not on stand by it’s done it a couple of times and the other glitches are clustered so will have them for a couple of days everyday then nothing for a few etc. bit upsetting as I love the the car.

My MG5 is only 5 weeks old and I have had countless problems with the handbrake ( first time being the morning after I brought it home ), CarPlay, screen making a crackling noise then going off and the sos call button. Scariest was the handbrake as I released it Manually I had no control over the steering and it began rolling backwards ! I was told if I needed a car it would be two weeks before they could look at it ! So I am still waiting to take it!
I haven’t touched the auto hold either.
Why would you release the parking brake (or handbrake as you call it) manually ?
It releases by itself when you put it in D or P.
The only reason to use the switch to release it, is for towing or loading on to a trailer or tow truck.

I have been waiting almost 2 months now for a replacement steering column at Chorley Motors in Burnley who tell me they are still on back order with MG U.K.

My steering wheel clicking had now become more of a rattle.

The car has only done just over 2,000 miles from new.

It must be a general parts problem coming from China although I believe the steering column is designed and manufactured by Bosch.

We wait and wait and wait!

Andy (Blackpool)

I have been waiting almost 2 months now for a replacement steering column at Chorley Motors in Burnley who tell me they are still on back order with MG U.K.

My steering wheel clicking had now become more of a rattle.

The car has only done just over 2,000 miles from new.

It must be a general parts problem coming from China although I believe the steering column is designed and manufactured by Bosch.

We wait and wait and wait!

Andy (Blackpool)
I really hope my handbrake motor and calliper does not take that long !.

I really hope my handbrake motor and calliper does not take that long !.
Someone in another thread mentioned the dealer taking parts off a car they had in stock (not a brake caliper though). This would be a quicker solution if they have any cars in stock.

Why would you release the parking brake (or handbrake as you call it) manually ?
It releases by itself when you put it in D or P.
The only reason to use the switch to release it, is for towing or loading on to a trailer or tow truck.
It wouldn’t release even though it was in drive /reverse 🙄

It wouldn’t release even though it was in drive /reverse 🙄
It takes a couple of seconds to let go if you're on a hill, the hill start assist will be holding it, but it should let go as soon as you press the accelerator.

It takes a couple of seconds to let go if you're on a hill, the hill start assist will be holding it, but it should let go as soon as you press the accelerator.
The dealership have had the car in over night and they have said it was showing a few software faults and that there were many updates outstanding - fingers crossed all will be well now 😊

Latest update on the failed ( stuck ) handbrake !.
Dropped in to the dealer this morning, good news first, the handbrake motor arrived there yesterday 👍.
Bad news, the calliper did not !.
Another week to wait apparently.
Checked on the cost of the parts to repair my car today.
Handbrake motor = £68.00.
Calliper assembly = £88.00.
So, here is the running total for costs for both myself and MG to date.
MG - It WILL be at least three weeks car hire at over £1,500.00 I am fairly sure.
My cost - £85.00 of Derv so far.
Almost £1,600.00 and counting for the cost of £156.00 worth of parts and one hours labour to fit them.
I don’t see this as anywhere close to good business sense, do you ???.

Maybe they are putting their faith in the expectation that significant warranty failures will be a rarity.
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that they don't actually have a functioning (responsive) support infrastructure for their EV range and they don't want to spend the millions required to set one up.
You are seeing £1.6K unnecessarily spent whereas they are seeing £multiple millions not spent in providing the facility for you to save your £1.6K!

I finally got good news on my replacement rattling steering column which has finally come into stock at the dealer after almost 2.5 months. Hopefully it will be fitted week after next when I can get over to Burnley. But I have to say, this delay was not the dealers fault they have been great to say the least, this ad you say is a poor parts infrastructure in the U.K. by MG.

You are seeing £1.6K unnecessarily spent whereas they are seeing £multiple millions not spent in providing the facility for you to save your £1.6K!
I do see your point and we should not expect MG to equip a spare parts department in the UK or Europe with every single part for there EV models.
However, the ZS model has been available for a good number of years now and you would expect service items like brake parts, that render the car unusable to be more readerly available to their customers.
Many years ago, I worked at a large dealership that had a two stage approach to ordering parts that where required from a main parts facility.
The standard ordering system for non urgent parts and then a system called V.O.T.R. ( Vehicle Off The Road ) where the spares where expedited in there shipping status, to prevent the workshop / car park being grid locked with vehicles awaiting vital parts.
Until you have experienced the sheer frustration of awaiting low (ish) cost parts for your car over a number of weeks, then it is hard to truly imagine :mad: .

Like I said, I'm only guessing here so it's possible they do have a functioning system, but one that holds minimal stock and relies on constant topping up. If that were so, it would be badly affected by the current problems with shipping anything from east to west so this may just be a temporary blip.
I do sympathise with your position.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom