Emergency Exit Instructions

the briggie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Emergency Tailgate Opening

Tailgate emergency open switch is located in the inner side of tailgate lock.

Fold down the rear seat to make sure the emergency open keyhole plug on the tailgate trim plate can be touched.

Remove the plug, and rotate the emergency open knob using the mechanical key (in the key fob) counterclockwise to open the tailgate from inside.
Screenshot_20230223-115731_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, I would hope MG UK and ALL dealerships are actively and proactively sorting all customers cars re the key not recognised deadlock fault but somehow I very much doubt it!!

Now posted in hints and tips
Very much appreciated.

Quite incredible that this even needs to be discussed/known.
Mind blowing.
Well it clearly does.
Not knocking you posting it.
Just that it has to be discussed at all.

I have just had a look at this to see if I can identify the part.
Opened the tailgate and I can see the lock.
But could not locate the Keyhole Plug.
It seems to have a dark grey plastic cover over the lock.

Question:
Do you have to remove the plastic cover to expose the Keyhole Plug.
If so, how do you achieve this if the tailgate is shut?

Very much appreciated.

Well it clearly does.

I have just had a look at this to see if I can identify the part.
Opened the tailgate and I can see the lock.
But could not locate the Keyhole Plug.
It seems to have a dark grey plastic cover over the lock.

Question:
Do you have to remove the plastic cover to expose the Keyhole Plug.
If so, how do you achieve this if the tailgate is shut?
The plastic cover has a tab to remove cover. It exposes lock but need to insert something to turn lock to open as its not a knob. Photo of mine for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_134529_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_134529_Gallery.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 249
That seems unusual given the instructions don't indicate the need for any other "aids" and describes it as a knob.
In an emergency what do you have to hand?...let's assume nothing as its deemed an emergency so get out ASAP...ooh wait a minute where's my Swiss knife. You should not have to supply additional tools in my view it should be able to open by hand. If not then the instructions are incorrect and potentially dangerous. Everything needed should all be within the emergency exit panel. If owners cannot turn it by hand then it is as much good as a chocolate teapot. Anyone care to look at it carefully to check if it rotates without any need for anything else? Does anything pop out for example?

Last edited:
That seems unusual given the instructions don't indicate the need for any other "aids" and describes it as a knob.
In an emergency what do you have to hand?...let's assume nothing as its deemed an emergency so get out ASAP...ooh wait a minute where's my Swiss knife. You should not have to supply additional tools in my view it should be able to open by hand. If not then the instructions are incorrect and potentially dangerous. Everything needed should all be within the emergency exit panel. If owners cannot turn it by hand then it is as much good as a chocolate teapot. Anyone care to look at it carefully to check if it rotates without any need for anything else? Does anything pop out for example?
It uses the emergency key blade doesn't it?

And says remove plug and rotate knob...something doesn't sound correct..either instructions or tailgate fixings...worth someone checking in my view in case I am misinterpreting or overthinking

Last edited:
And says remove plug and rotate knob...something doesn't sound correct..either instructions or tailgate fixings...worth someone checking in my view in case I am misinterpreting or overthinking
To me the fact it says keyhole plug tells you, you need your key unless that the engineer in me going it's spelt out... But I appreciate engineers don't think the same way as a lot of people.

I am also an ex engineer and used to reading technical instructions..some very lengthy...and if a key or the key is required the instructions should be explicit as to what key it means..it sounds to me like remove cover..remove plug...which may make the knob rotatable or may be the "key" to this process...and then rotate knob but without physically checking it🤷‍♂️....care to volunteer given your brain is probably wired similarly to mine?

I am also an ex engineer and used to reading technical instructions..some very lengthy...and if a key or the key is required the instructions should be explicit as to what key it means..it sounds to me like remove cover..remove plug...which may make the knob rotatable or may be the "key" to this process...and then rotate knob but without physically checking it🤷‍♂️....care to volunteer given your brain is probably wired similarly to mine?
I'll attempt tomorrow if it's not raining here 🤣

The plastic cover has a tab to remove cover. It exposes lock but need to insert something to turn lock to open as its not a knob. Photo of mine for reference.
This looks the same as when I removed the plastic cover. I then inserted a flat bladed screwdriver into what I thought was a slot and tried to rotate it counterclockwise.
However, it would not rotate which I then assumed was because the tailgate was already open.... obviously.
Was that correct or was anyone able to rotate the lock with the tailgate open?

I'd use that if I thought it was a proper emergency but wouldn't be putting my window in for a software fault. I'd take my chances getting out the boot.
MG would probably argue that they weren't liable for the cost of the window

I'd use that if I thought it was a proper emergency but wouldn't be putting my window in for a software fault. I'd take my chances getting out the boot.
MG would probably argue that they weren't liable for the cost of the window
And you might have to wait several weeks for a replacement window

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums