Energy Consumption Display no AC usage?

Trooper

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
In almost three months of owning the car, I’ve actually never looked at this screen until today and noticed something (possibly) odd.

It shows since the last charge total consumption of 11KWh, but no figure for the “AC and other consumers”

We’re having 33°-35°C weather at the moment so I’ve had the AC cooling on pretty much every time I’ve driven since charging.

Just wondering about anyone else’s experience: Possibly the AC just uses far less energy than I assumed, so is a negligible amount & doesn’t show yet?

Attachments

• IMG_4160.jpeg
    IMG_4160.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 60
All good. Looks like 1) I just needed to wait longer and 2) Air-con doesn’t chew up as much power as I thought 👍

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 37
I'm a little surprised by that because I was always told that the aircon in an ICE car would shorten the range. (Of course ICE cars have heat and to spare, so the heater isn't going to make a dent in anything.)

I'm a little surprised by that because I was always told that the aircon in an ICE car would shorten the range. (Of course ICE cars have heat and to spare, so the heater isn't going to make a dent in anything.)
Yeah me too. I definitely noticed a drop in economy in my old (2006 model) ICE car when using AC, but not so much with the MG4.

Summer’s only two weeks away so that’ll be the real test when we get our regular 40°C-plus days, but am I right in understanding EVs are more efficient in hotter weather anyway? Or is it just charging that’s more efficient?

Last edited:
am I right in understanding EVs are more efficient in hotter weather anyway?
I think that the main effect is that the battery works better at higher temperatures (but degrades faster as well). So you can more effectively use the capacity that is there. So if you like you get better charge efficiency from the battery in summer. It's debatable whether you would call that a "real" efficiency parameter.

You don't know you're alive. It's freezing here, and my SR battery has lost quite a lot of range. A journey that used to take 53% of the battery recently took 67% and I think it has further to fall than that still. It's not an issue, because I still have enough to do my regular journeys without stopping, and if necessary I can hook up to a 7 kW charger while I'm at my destination to give me a boost. I've also identified a couple of 50 kW CCS chargers on the way home just in case I think I need five or ten minutes on one of these to be sure of making it.

It's not an issue, I knew the car was going to behave like that when I bought it, but don't think that seasonal variations aren't significant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel