Energy Supplier Deals

Stephen Cameron

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

just about to purchase a new ZS EV and wondered which energy supplier offers the best deal in relation to overnight charging?

I expect this is probably a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure you've probably researched this to death.

Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,
We are with Octopus Energy - we were actually with them before I got the MG, but they offer a couple of great tariffs for charging when the energy is cheaper. It is occasionally so cheap that they actually pay you to charger in the night. They also supply cars (through Octopus EV) which might be worth looking into if you hven yet put the money down).

They can install chargers too, (along with the smart meter) and the customer service is good...
cheers
n

Hi Steve,
We are with Octopus Energy - we were actually with them before I got the MG, but they offer a couple of great tariffs for charging when the energy is cheaper. It is occasionally so cheap that they actually pay you to charger in the night. They also supply cars (through Octopus EV) which might be worth looking into if you hven yet put the money down).

They can install chargers too, (along with the smart meter) and the customer service is good...
cheers
n
Also EDF have a good deal, look on ZapMap for suppliers.

I signed up with Octopus in January this year with the promise of getting a smart meter fitted in 6 - 8 weeks.... Never happened. I'm still waiting for a smart meter, obviously Covid-19 has had a delaying effect but I suspect they cover more urban areas first rather than deal with customers more isolated? I've complained about this but they have not provided any cogent reasons why I must continue to wait? Of course I cannot get a home charger until the smart meter is installed....Bummer!

It will be the same with EDF at the moment if you need a smart meter fitted, but this should affect you having a home charger installed?

Hi, just got my EV and looking round for a supplier, currently with Avro, but CS is terrible. Timetable is 23rd UK Power upgrading main fuse to 100A (hopefully), charger installation on the 24th and tails upgraded to 25mm on the 30th. Smart meter(s) on the 11th Jan 2021 (seeing if I can get this done at the same time as the tails). I have looked at a few suppliers and Ovo EV Everywhere looks good, 'free' membership of polar plus.

Any advice

Thanks

When I got my charger installed I went with the Octopus Go tariff. Giving me cheap charging from 00.30am to 04.30am each night. The amount it costs to charge it up overnight is never going to break the bank.

Ha ha who needs a home charger (I had one installed), but VW have paired up with Tesco and they are installing a lot of free chargers via Pod-Point; just move near to a Tesco’s and get free power...some are even 22 kWh and are free; shame the MG cannot handle that...

Hi, just got my EV and looking round for a supplier, currently with Avro, but CS is terrible. Timetable is 23rd UK Power upgrading main fuse to 100A (hopefully), charger installation on the 24th and tails upgraded to 25mm on the 30th. Smart meter(s) on the 11th Jan 2021 (seeing if I can get this done at the same time as the tails). I have looked at a few suppliers and Ovo EV Everywhere looks good, 'free' membership of polar plus.

Any advice

Thanks
I'm with Avro too, thankfully never had to contact CS, the electricity just keeps coming :) I was contemplating changing to an EV type tariff but after doing the sums, standing charge plus cost of electricity based on my current usage without EV (arrives tomorrow) we would be £70/ year worse off on Octopus Go.
My tariff is 12p/kwh 24 hrs per day and that £70 will take some using up.

Hi,

just about to purchase a new ZS EV and wondered which energy supplier offers the best deal in relation to overnight charging?

I expect this is probably a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure you've probably researched this to death.

Thanks Steve
We are currently using "Outfox The Market" 100% Wind Energy suppliers (so they claim), their Gas and Electric prices for Day and Nightime seem reasonable at .12.1p per Kwh incl. VAT. Because we have two cars that use the charger (MG ZSEV and Mercedes 250e) sometimes we need to charge during the daytime, so need cheap electric all the time.
I often find with the cheaper overnight tariffs that the daytime charges are much higher, it use to be the same for Economy 7 users, but I would be very interested if a Tariff came in with a cheap overnight and a daytime tariff less than .121p per unit.
Another thing you have to watch is the Standing Daily Charge - Mine is currently .25p per day which for me is quite high.

I'm with edf and pay 12p per kwh with standing charge of 19p, octopus and ovo couldn't beat that so staying put

We are currently using "Outfox The Market" 100% Wind Energy suppliers (so they claim), their Gas and Electric prices for Day and Nightime seem reasonable at .12.1p per Kwh incl. VAT. Because we have two cars that use the charger (MG ZSEV and Mercedes 250e) sometimes we need to charge during the daytime, so need cheap electric all the time.
I often find with the cheaper overnight tariffs that the daytime charges are much higher, it use to be the same for Economy 7 users, but I would be very interested if a Tariff came in with a cheap overnight and a daytime tariff less than .121p per unit.
Another thing you have to watch is the Standing Daily Charge - Mine is currently .25p per day which for me is quite high.
Agreed, I'm currently with Avro cost 12p per kWh 24 hours.

Thanks for all the replies.

On balance, and doing a spreadsheet with all my meter readings and usage total for day and night (got an 'old' economy 7 model) the winner is 'Avro'

With the flat charge of 12p a Kwh and 14p per day standing charge they are the cheapest (with my readings the others are all dearer by

Octopus £5 pm
Ovo £18pm
EDF £30pm

If Octopus standing charge was 14p and not 25p they were very close, but they only give 4 hours per night of cheap rate and not 7 as the old meter.

The CS for Avro is rubbish but as @GOM stated as long as the power comes it fine.

Last edited:
I'm with Avro too, thankfully never had to contact CS, the electricity just keeps coming :) I was contemplating changing to an EV type tariff but after doing the sums, standing charge plus cost of electricity based on my current usage without EV (arrives tomorrow) we would be £70/ year worse off on Octopus Go.
My tariff is 12p/kwh 24 hrs per day and that £70 will take some using up.
I'm with Avro, Just got the car yesterday and my initial thoughts were like yours. Also signed for another 12 months just a month ago.
Had issues with the smart meter which they couldn't resolve - I have to do manual readings and the in home monitor is just a paperweight.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom