EON Next Flex Drive

rigby44

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys,

Just thought i’d make people aware, EON do have an EV tariff, though they are quiet about it.

Bullet points:

7 hours of low rate charging (10p/kwh) between 12am-7am

Works with any EV. You need usual smart meter etc.

Rate outside 12-7 is penal, 43.7p/kwh compared with Octopus Go at 31p. Of course you benefit from the additional 3 hours of low rate charging from Eon over Octopus Go. Standing charges are the same.

Would anyone estimate that this is ‘much of a muchness’ in terms of the higher day rate cancelling out the additional 3 hours of low usage? Thanks to a kind MGEV forum member i’d also bag £50 credit if switching to Octopus Go.

I'm on 'Go' and think I will stick with that.
Currently I have 7.5p overnight until September (fixed period) when I think it will raise to 9.5p. Day rate is cheaper as you say but that doesn't worry me too much as I have a battery on my house.

Octopus allows me to manage my bills efficiently and after recent discussions with them, they have updated their portal to allow more efficient balance withdrawals and over payments along with direct debit adjustments made online under your control.

Not sure what EON offer in competition, but their offering above doesn't tempt me.

Last edited:
I'm on 'Go' and think I will stick with that.
Currently I have 7.5p overnight until September (fixed period) when I think it will raise to 9.5p. Day rate is cheaper as you say but that doesn't worry me too much as I have a battery on my house.

Octopus allows me to manage my bills efficiently and after recent discussions with them, they have updated their portal to allow more efficient balance withdrawals and over payments along with direct debit adjustments made online under your control.

Not sure what EON offer in competition, but not their offering from the above doesn't tempt me.

Thanks, yes being quoted 9.5p as a new customer today by Octopus.

Octopus will definitely be nicer to deal with, with more control over the account - Eon are one of the ‘old guard’ and their move to digital has been quite poor.

If you have an Ohme EVSE charge point then you can get 6+ hours at 7.5p.
Yep intelligent octopus is really good and 6 hours gives 40+ kw , so 60-70 % charge. Also if you leave your car plugged in and octopus have low demand they will charge your car outside of cheap rate at the cheap rate price, just need the ohme which works well

I'm on E.ONs EV tariff which suits me as I'm usually up just before 6 (benefit🤔 of having dogs) and have an electric shower so can use that on the cheap rate as well as put a wash on if I forgot to set the timer the night before.
There is also no contract so no penalty for leaving and I'm just letting the energy market settle down before I look again at my supplier again.

I'm on E.ONs EV tariff which suits me as I'm usually up just before 6 (benefit🤔 of having dogs) and have an electric shower so can use that on the cheap rate as well as put a wash on if I forgot to set the timer the night before.
There is also no contract so no penalty for leaving and I'm just letting the energy market settle down before I look again at my supplier again.

Hi Ian, i’ve just taken Eon’s tariff. They’ve put the gas down from 10p to 7.5p so bit of a saving there too.

Would you say you are being badly impacted by the 43p daily rate, or not so much? I know i’m comparing apples with oranges, but we dont have electric shower or hobbs so hoping it wont ‘hurt too much’.

Hi Ian, i’ve just taken Eon’s tariff. They’ve put the gas down from 10p to 7.5p so bit of a saving there too.

Would you say you are being badly impacted by the 43p daily rate, or not so much? I know i’m comparing apples with oranges, but we dont have electric shower or hobbs so hoping it wont ‘hurt too much’.
Octopus IO can't be beaten for me 6 hrs at 7.5p rest at 29.8p and gas is 7.5p

As you say it's comparing apples and oranges. It depends how much electricity you use on the day rate and I might still change suppliers as there is no penalty in leaving E.on. I'm just waiting to see what happens in the next few months and if Octopus and Zappi get their act together.

Im with british Gas . Gas is 7.39 with 29p standing charge. Electric is midnight to 05 is 9.4p and day rate 3.89p. 41p standing charge It should be 38.97 day rate but they are charging me the lower rate someone got the decimal point in the wrong place . This was confirmed yesterday when an engineer called out. He just said to crack on its a bargain .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back