Ethernet over powerlines - connected but not charging! (fix)

Artaroos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I had this problem caused by my Internet Powerline adaptor not allowing the car to charge because the charger saw "noise" on the Earth line and quite rightly said No!

(it had worked fine for a while and then suddenly stopped allowing the car to charge)

So, here's how I got round it:

I have a dedicated outdoor socket for the Granny charger unit (Amazon around £30 with a 20M cable and plug on the other end to simply plug into another socket)

I disconnected the earth from my mains supply into the back of the socket mentioned before, that the charger is plugged into - and instead, I added its own independent Earth point, using a 4ft Earth Rod and some suitable cable (all told was less than £20 (screwfix)).

Please excuse the weeds in the picture.

Works fine now - and I can now leave my Internet powerline on, as it is a separate (Earth) circuit!

300009041_7752717591465339_5700770832760507627_n.jpg

Hi, I might get shot for this but do you have it on a RCBO I suppose it doesn't need PEN protection as you have made it a TT system.

Hi, I might get shot for this but do you have it on a RCBO I suppose it doesn't need PEN protection as you have made it a TT system.
:) - I'm afraid I'd have to get my copy of the 17th edition (Last time I "qualified") to answer all your questions,,, Standby caller..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom