European Adventure MG ZS EV

anthunter

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, I am new to this site and to EV’s. I bought my MG 2 weeks ago and I’m driving across Europe next week to spend a month in Hungary (my wife’s home country).
I plan to give a full account of the trip when I return (or sooner) but would be very grateful for any advice or tips.

Wow,you are a brave man. Download ABRP (A Better Route Planner) and sign up for a free trial upgrade to premium. Check along a couple of route options at the chargers available en route to see which, if any, need RFID cards. There are a few companies that provide accounts that cover different networks. You may need to applin advance or risk using a mobile phone app.

Hi all, I am new to this site and to EV’s. I bought my MG 2 weeks ago and I’m driving across Europe next week to spend a month in Hungary (my wife’s home country).
I plan to give a full account of the trip when I return (or sooner) but would be very grateful for any advice or tips.
You may want to make sure you have the correct adapters for using the granny across Europe.
Have a look at something like this ModulEV Modular granny charger extension and travel adaptor system

Wow,you are a brave man. Download ABRP (A Better Route Planner) and sign up for a free trial upgrade to premium. Check along a couple of route options at the chargers available en route to see which, if any, need RFID cards. There are a few companies that provide accounts that cover different networks. You may need to applin advance or risk using a mobile phone app.
Hi John, got ABRP app and 20 more! Got a charge map card, and waiting for 2 more. Also got a 35m 15 amp euro plunged extension for the granny charger, in case I need to beg from a friendly local🥴
Thanks for your concern, will report any problems. 🐜

Hope you have a great trip Ant, we are planning a UK to Algarve adventure in our MGZS next year.

The Miio Card covers lots of charge networks in Portugal for anyone considering Portugal. You can pre-order an RFID card for delivery to your UK address too.

Last edited:
Hy there!
Use this App enbw mobility+
To order the card, it will be too late.
Many chargers an donly pay per kWh. No monthly payment.
When you cross austria and need help, call me. The ZOE Club Austria helps! ;-)
Phonenumber per pn if you like.

Hi guys, I thought it’s about time I reported back on my European Adventure. Life has been manic since I got back.
Well I planned to stop my first night in Bruges at the Ibis which has 4 chargers in the car park, but we were told at the last minute that England was on Belgium’s red list and that the police were stopping British cars (you had to get embassy approval before going).
So we booked a hotel in Cambrai (3charge points)
Drove from Bognor to Folkestone, charged to 85% at Eurotunnel. Got to Cambrai about 8 pm, checked in at the hotel then went to find a charge while getting dinner, well all 3 chargers were out of service!! So after dinner, with only 13 miles left, I parked behind the hotel, dropped my 30 meter cable out of the window threw it ove the wall then went around and plugged it in, taping it high up a streetlight. Fortunately I made a euro plug extension, it was a bit warm by morning, but it got us to Reims where there were several rapid chargers at motorway services to choose from.
We got another full charge at a supermarket in Metz, then off to our hotel in Karlsruhe which, quite by chance had 4 Tesla charge points in the car park. Plugged in and it worked!
No problems at any of the motorway services, just expensive! So we found a few free rapid chargers on the way. (Kaufland supermarkets) then another charge at a Munich hotel, underground car park, just plugged into a socket on the wall (this time with permission)😁
Austria was a breeze, some places had 12 or more rapid chargers and my chargemap fob worked almost everywhere.
Charged up south of Vienna, and that got us home to a village near Veszprem. It stopped showing the miles after 10 left, but we were nearly there.
Lots of free chargers in Hungary, and EV’s don’t pay for parking, charging or not!!
Trip back was a similar story, except I discovered Fastned (Dutch) in Germany, you register your payment card the first charge, then it recognises your car each time you plug in and starts straight away.
Mostly dedicated EV charging stations.
Well I think that’s enough to bore even the most enthusiastic of you, but hope some found it useful.
Cheers, Ant

Hi Ant thanks for the debrief. We do Bognor to Poland a couple of times a year but yet to go full EV so your experience is really helpful. What is a charge map fob?

Matt

Hi Matt, you can find Chargemap in your App Store, and order a card, it’s credit card size but works like a fob.
Bon voyage when you decide to go full EV to Poland.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom