EV Mode switches off when running down a hill

ukestra

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Newcastle Australia. We have a couple of largish hills in the city where, almost without fail in the same spot on the hill, the EV Mode switches off. No heating is switched on. Any ideas?

Newcastle Australia. We have a couple of largish hills in the city where, almost without fail in the same spot on the hill, the EV Mode switches off. No heating is switched on. Any ideas?
We discussed this on FB. could you try the same when battery is say 80%?

Hello
my car did this today 70% battery no heating or AC on. Had been about running 3 miles on EV then went down a hill and near to the bottom came out of EV. try to switch back in and EV not supported, in the book is this.
After 30 seconds I could move back in to EV.

Attachments

• 946D6F80-8BF9-4C0B-A417-E5A2E5AC65B2.png
    946D6F80-8BF9-4C0B-A417-E5A2E5AC65B2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
Hello
my car did this today 70% battery no heating or AC on. Had been about running 3 miles on EV then went down a hill and near to the bottom came out of EV. try to switch back in and EV not supported, in the book is this.
After 30 seconds I could move back in to EV.

Did the EV mode switch off in same location? What was your speed when it comes off EV mode.
What climate control settings are you using? What is the temperature set to?

First time today speed was about 15MPH as going over bumps No A/C or heating or blower where on all off.

I have to admit I cannot find any logical reason when the heater is off why when trying to turn on EV it says 'Not supported' I have tried to replicate the same trips with mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not turn on.

When you press that EV button it should just override the controls and switch immediately into electric mode. This really is a case of 'The computer says NO!'

But saying that I am enjoying the car.

This problem continues for me. So much so that I know which hills and at what point. It's very odd and I've would thought that mg would have some sort of guidance/ advice on it.

I think it is going in to protection mode, see below from the user manual

Overheating Protection Starting off frequently at high ambient temperatures, quick and frequently accelerating/decelerating, climbing a steep slope for a long period of time, or overloading the electric drive transmission may cause high temperatures. In order to prevent the motor from damage, the system will enter the overheating protection function.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom