Ev red lights after charging

daveosmith

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So after a trip up to the lakes decided to use the instavolt charger at booths in ulverston to top up for the trip home. First time I've need to charge. Sweet it running went for a quick shop. Jump back in the car. Red warning light saying HV battery disconnected. Would not move. Phoned the AA days they would get some one or but also get someone to ring me from the technical team. As soon as I hung up they phoned me. Said to switch everything off, go have a coffee and don't go near the car for 15 minutes. 15 minutes later back in the car all fine (apart from an angry missus - how does not fixing the car fix the car?!!). Still all part of the joys of EVs I suppose

No, not the joy of EV’s, more the joys of MG.

I would just make sure you have all the latest firmware/software updates from the dealer.

That happened to me on a Gridserve in Exeter on the M5 services this summer. I sat waiting for the AA but decided to see if I could turn it in again after about 10 minutes. Fortunately it worked, but just to be safe I changed charge points. Fortunately there were loads free as it was 6.30am. I stayed in the Travel Lodge there overnight on the way to Cornwall. Nb I have always stayed overnight on the way to Cornwall. Its not just an EV thing.

So after a trip up to the lakes decided to use the instavolt charger at booths in ulverston to top up for the trip home. First time I've need to charge. Sweet it running went for a quick shop. Jump back in the car. Red warning light saying HV battery disconnected. Would not move. Phoned the AA days they would get some one or but also get someone to ring me from the technical team. As soon as I hung up they phoned me. Said to switch everything off, go have a coffee and don't go near the car for 15 minutes. 15 minutes later back in the car all fine (apart from an angry missus - how does not fixing the car fix the car?!!). Still all part of the joys of EVs I suppose
What percentage did you charge it up to?

Trip up M1 stopping at Milton Keynes Coachway to charge from 30%. All Ionity rapid chargers in use so tried 50Kw bp-pulse. Rubbish, only managed a max of 24Kw at 79p/Kw. Gave up and travelled to Gridserve at Watford Gap Services. From low 30% charged at max of 139Kw at 69p/Kw until after 50%, then reduced to 77Kw until 65% when I had enough plus spare to get home. Did not leave car so never shutdown/locked. After stopping charging the car had red 'HV Disonnected' warning but believed that was this because of the charging, which had ended, so just pressed the brake pedal and off I went (after cancelling LKA) again.

Only gripe: why isn't there a big tower next to the charging stations because I went to the original single station, occupied, before I located the multiple stations site.

EDIT: Sorry, did not realise this was on the ZS thread after a Gridserve Search. My car is a MG4 Trophy.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom