Steve88

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all

Hopefully picking up our trophy lr this weekend, we are currently on a standard British Gas tariff with no smart meter ,

We have ordered a Ohme pro charger and looking to switch to Octopus Go will we be paying a higher rate until we have a smart meter fitted?

Or do they put you on an Ev tariff if you prove you have an Ev car?

Thanks

Hi all

Hopefully picking up our trophy lr this weekend, we are currently on a standard British Gas tariff with no smart meter ,

We have ordered a Ohme pro charger and looking to switch to Octopus Go will we be paying a higher rate until we have a smart meter fitted?

Thanks
You will need to have a smart meter so they can do 1/2 hour readings.

So I’m guessing until we have a smart meter fitted we will be on a higher rate
Im on the standard variable tariff with BG it goes down to 25p / kwh on 1st of April so at an average of 4 m/kwh which is what I average over a year it will be around 6.25p / mile . I have a smart meter but only a 3.5kw EVSE so 5 hours charging for me is not enough to be practical. It is still way cheaper than petrol or diesel so I'm happy with that until I decide to invest 1k or more on a more modern 7kw EVSE. 👍

Hi all

Thanks
Have you ask BG to fit the smart meters then you are ready for Go when you switch?

If you stay with BGas, and have BGas smart meter and, an Hive charger with their EV tariff you could get your kWh rate down to under 5p from mid-night to 5am. and just under 9p to run your white goods.

Some will say IO from Octopus is far better, that it maybe, but BGas is working for us.

If you stay with BGas, and have BGas smart meter and, an Hive charger with their EV tariff you could get your kWh rate down to under 5p from mid-night to 5am. and just under 9p to run your white goods.

Some will say IO from Octopus is far better, that it maybe, but BGas is working for us.
Can I assume that the 5p BG tariff is only available for use, with their own Hive wall boxes then ?.
I ask, because they appear to be offering a 5p rate to charge the car and then charging 9p for any other white goods used on the off peak rate.
So, if you have another type / make of smart wall box or even the older type dumb wall box, you have to pay the straight 9p/kwh right across the board, for the five hours offered ?.
If you have a non compatible wall box to gain their best cheaper rates with Octopus, you will be likely offered the Octopus Go tariff, but I think you only get 4 hours of their slightly more expensive off peak rate.
This will be one hour less per night, over the B.G. offering.
Please correct my understanding, if I have it wrong.

Hi all

Thanks
Im on British Gas EV tariff 0.87 pence per kw hour between 12 and 05 am. No problem just go online and change your tarrif They have never asked for any proof of ownership. Thats a proper EV charger NOT the 13amp plug one

Hi all

Thanks
Not read the whole thread but do your numbers before you commit to an off peak tariff. The cheap night time is slightly offset by them bumping up the day time tariff. If you do a lot of mileage then its probably worth it. The smart meters are ( confirmed recently in the press) a joke,

I am also with British Gas. I looked for ages for an ev tariff but after working everything out it worked out not to be on a ev tariff as they crank up the other times for a short window of discounted so works out alot more for everything else. I am a smart meter customer but will also add a pay as you go so slightly higher rate than if was on DD as AndyL61 said research. I did and I stayed on my normal house tariff and charge for less than some with a tariff. Based on my house electricity isn't charged at a higher rate for a discount on the ev side.
Hope it helps. There is alot of great advice on this thread. Just take your time. No point rushing it and getting stuck with a tariff.

I am on fixed tariff with B Gas and see no evidence of higher normal rate to offset lower ev tariff. My fuel costs are now £50 per month insted of £350 for petrol vehicle

Last edited by a moderator:
As a low mileage driver (8k miles) and being retired with solar on FIT the numbers don't really work out for me either. I estimate that I have paid for around 20% of my home charging using the granny charger, the rest has come from the solar. I calculated that with IO Go it would take almost 3 years to cover the cost of installing a charger if I didn't have solar (perhaps 10 years plus with solar), and without the taking into account the daytime premium or the reducing gap between the cap price and 7.5p.

I think I've confirmed my thoughts today. despite it being sunshine and a few showers here I plugged the 13amp charger in this morning and left it on. By late this afternoon I'd put almost 15 kWh through the charger but only paid for 3-4 of them with the rest coming from the solar panels. Over the last 6 months I've used a public charger twice spending £22 altogether, with one of those times being due to the destination charger I intended to use having zero mobile coverage so I was unable to confirm the charge (shame as it's a 25p/kWh Podpoint).

I see a lot of people are on Octopus but e-on have a deal for 8p at lower peak for 7 hours, am i missing something as to why this doesnt get a mention. Are there some caveats to this rate that i am missing?

Im on British Gas EV tariff 0.87 pence per kw hour between 12 and 05 am. No problem just go online and change your tarrif They have never asked for any proof of ownership. Thats a proper EV charger NOT the 13amp plug one
When did you sign up for that and do you have the exact name of the tariff you are on? I switched to BGs EV tariff last week and it’s 7p per kWh for the same hours and we had to provide proof we had an EV, I tried to switch the day before (wall charger fitted and had reg of car) and was refused. If there is a super cheap tariff like that it would be great.

I see a lot of people are on Octopus but e-on have a deal for 8p at lower peak for 7 hours, am i missing something as to why this doesnt get a mention. Are there some caveats to this rate that i am missing?
I have just run a duel fuel quote for e.on tariff and compared it to the deal I was recently offered about two weeks ago, from my current supplier which is EDF.
TBH - tariff wise it is very close, however the cheaper rate for EDF is only 5 hours.

The e.on deal is for 7 hours on a very similar rate to our new 12 month fix with EDF.
So I think it is a better deal and pretty competitive at todays prices.

Our EDF electric deal is 30.15p / kWh in the day time and 8.99p / kWh for the off peak of 5 hours. Seven days / week.
The daily standing charge is 66.94p / day.

The gas rate is 6.014p / kWh and a daily standing charge of 31.89p / day.

Below is the quote I received from e.on for comparison reasons.

IMG_3366.jpeg

I did just a search on Google but i didnt do a deep dive in to the finer details.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.png
    IMG_1018.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 21
I suppose it would come down to what is the daytime rate ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom