EVNotify - Monitor your electric vehicle remotely

slarod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, I have teamed with the developer of "EVNotify" to bring support for MG ZS EV in the near
future, at current beta testing a special version is being done, data has been transferred to a test
server for verification.

Screenshot_20210419-170844_EVNotify.jpg

Waiting for next beta release to be ready for final testing, will notify this group when we are
supported from it, in the mean time, see again from Bjørn Nyland two video(s) using it on
Volkswagen ID.3 and ID.4:

VW ID3 82 kWh acceleration and noise test (Start @ 1:26 to see "EVNotify" in use...)

VW ID4 82 kWh acceleration and noise test (Start @ 2:15 to see "EVNotify" in use...)

Intersting. How do you propose actually conecting to the car? In the UK at least, there's no hardware to do that.

Intersting. How do you propose actually conecting to the car? In the UK at least, there's no hardware to do that.
Hi, just a quick "FAQ" below:

Why should I use EVNotify?
Because many cars don't have the possibility to remotely monitor data. And even if they have - the
app might be bad or the manufacture will simply drop support after a few years. Often they want
you to pay for the service. EVNotify is free and completely open source. And under continuous
development. You can bring your ideas in the app.

But you might be asking, why you need such an app to see your data. Image the following
situation:

You are on a road trip and you charge. While charging, you are drinking a coffee - and you want to
know, when you can end the charge and continue with driving.

Without EVNotify you can't. But with EVNotify you can sit in the Cafè and watch the state of charge
increasing.

Or another situation:

You go back and the car charges. The charge interrupts due to an error. After two hours you come
back - the car hasn't charged.

With EVNotify you will receive an instant notification, if charging aborted.

EVNotify also helps you to track your charges, consumptions and drives. It can also help you to
find nearby stations to charge your electric vehicle.

What do I need for EVNotify?
Download the app on the Google Play Store. You currently need an Android device with at least
Android 4.1 installed, Android 6 or later is recommended.

Furthermore you need a bluetooth-capable OBDII-dongle.

To retrieve the data you can simply use another device with EVNotify or use the web interface
(compatible with any device).

Is EVNotify free?
It's free. And it will stay free. It's not sponsored. It's not advertised. It's built and financed from a
young, enthusiastic developer that wants to solve problems instead of complaining about them.

Which cars and platforms are supported on EVNotify?
Sender in the car, that reads data from car, currently needs to be an Android device. The device,
that retrieves the data can be any device when using the platform independent web interface. More
platforms coming soon. Many cars are now supported. Most of them only have basic support. See
wiki for more information.

What should I keep in mind when using EVNotify?
You are interacting with your car. Keep this in mind when you are using EVNotify. Use it on your
own risk. I'm not liable for any damage caused by improper use or cheap OBDII-devices.

Furthermore you should not let the dongle plugged in. It can drain the 12V battery of the car.

How can I use EVNotify?
Download the app. Plug the OBDII-device in the OBDII-port of your supported electric vehicle.
Charge or turn the engine on - open EVNotify. Create an account. Select the OBDII-device, your car
and apply your settings. You are ready!

Still not sure how in the UK the information from the OBD dongle gets to my phone, as in your example, to me sitting in a cafe. The Bluetooth signal would not reach, or am I missing something.

At the moment I I use my own app, 'EV Charge Meter', which accurately uses an algorithm to predict charging rate in real time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-23-18-26-02-703_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-23-18-26-02-703_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Looking at the website, you need a second android phone to connect to the OBDII device with bluetooth and send data to the server.

Yes I have already done this with torque pro, it requires a second phone with a data sim left in the car. Also the car needs to be switched on, (and if leaving unattended then locked from the inside followed by putting window up while stood outside the car).
It is good if other apps can do this (providing they don't charge for our own data uploads as can just as easy upload to Google drive for free).

Yes, you will need to have a second phone running in the car for data transfer, as we do not have
an integrated mobile phone link in our car(s) for this, the extra phone is required.

As they say in the IT-World, "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device), then you will be able to get access
to the data from a second phone away from your car, I use spare phone + twin data SIM for this.

IMG_1905.JPG

When do you think you may have a beta version available for testing? I am signed up as a Beta tester for EVNotify, so wondering if this will provide me with access to the version you are working on?

@slarod
On the car scanner app it appears your using PeterNixon's GitHub list. Battery temperature is absent from his list although he has battery coolant temperature which is a different PID.
i.e. battery temperature and battery coolant temperature are two different data readings.

Battery Temp PID
PID: 0x22b056
Equation: (A/2)-40
Header: 781

When do you think you may have a beta version available for testing? I am signed up as a Beta tester for EVNotify, so wondering if this will provide me with access to the version you are working on?
Hi JohnG, I'm on my first beta release from the developer, the package file was emailed to me and I
installed it for further testing against his server, after the data transfer last week I'm awaiting his
next beta update for further testing, I'm seeing that this next version is delayed for some reason.

PS! the version online is not with the option for "MG ZS EV" yet, he is working on it...

@slarod
On the car scanner app it appears your using PeterNixon's GitHub list. Battery temperature is absent from his list although he has battery coolant temperature which is a different PID.
i.e. battery temperature and battery coolant temperature are two different data readings.

Battery Temp PID
PID: 0x22b056
Equation: (A/2)-40
Header: 781
Hi AbuG, thanks for the input, right now I have tested more on what is available in the current beta
version I have access to, the "Battery Temp Cell Module 1 to 9", etc...

Screenshot_20210427-144601.jpg

I think that's individual temperatures for each of the nine cell packs. It's possible they may vary with one another during charging and usuage. (Or when there is a fault with some of them).

Also from the OVMS PIDs that nix provided there were actually a temp1 and temp2 for each pack. So not certain what's the difference between them but I'm guessing minimum and maximum temperature for each cell pack.

I'm guessing the one I mentioned is the overall battery temperature which is more simpler for daily usuage. (It's actually the MAXIMUM battery temperature on OVMS PIDS, they have a minimum temperature too)
Screenshot_20210427_144353.jpg
Edit:
Using the minimum, as the value is most helpful for when we want to rapid charge as fast as possible and want to avoid coldgating. Minimum temp PID is 0x22b057.

Notify EV displays "min/max/inlet" as per screen shot. Not sure what they mean by inlet..but I'm guessing it's the air cooling at the inlet... may be can use coolant temp for that parameter
Screenshot_20210427_160037.jpg

Last edited:
Hi JohnG, I'm on my first beta release from the developer, the package file was emailed to me and I
installed it for further testing against his server, after the data transfer last week I'm awaiting his
next beta update for further testing, I'm seeing that this next version is delayed for some reason.

PS! the version online is not with the option for "MG ZS EV" yet, he is working on it...
Hi JohnG, just got word from the developer that a new version for testing will be available this
coming weekend, Friday or Saturday, he has busy day's, I will be making some testing then.

Has there been any progress on this. Torque Pro is unusable on my device so would be keen to try an alternative to connect to ABRP

Hi everyone. Just a little up for this topic, hopping that EVNotify will add support for MG cars :)

Is this now dead? 💀
Are there any updates at all?

Seems the progress was a long time ago and still the ZS EV is not in the list on the app :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom