Extended Range and RWD

Nev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any experience of the new extended range MG4, the one with the 77KW battery? What levels of efficiency i.e. miles perKwH are you getting? Any specific likes/dislikes? Also for those who have an MG4 of any type how do you find the rear wheel drive if you have moved from a front wheel drive car? Despite 40+years on the road I have only ever driven front wheel drive vehicles. I am passed caring very much about an “exciting" drive which is what reviewers tend to focus on but I am interested in control and grip in the wet and general driving ease of Rear wheel drive. Thanks in anticipation.

I believe it depends a lot on how the heat pump is integrated and whether it is working at a good efficiency (right temperature zone).

Tesla go to lots of clever lengths to harvest waste heat, even running the motors inefficiently to generate more waste heat to be harvested, boosting the effectiveness of their heat pump installation.

A poorly done system can struggle to provide enough heat quickly enough on a cold morning. It will still be wonderfully efficient, but it can be hard to compete in heat output terms with a resistive heater at full chat. Heat pumps have a limited instantaneous output but can keep it up efficiently for hours.

Of course, if you always pre-heat the car, then a heat pump will have plenty of time to warm it up. But then, you could be pre-heating with a PTC heater or just jump in and whack the heat to max.

It also depends on your climate, your budget and whether the loss of range matters with your journey mix.
No idea on the witchcraft behind it all, I just know the cabin gets warm and the range is not affected (I have never done a preheat, don't have to set off early any more). Whereas without one the cabin got warm and the range was affected. There is no delay or slow build up-it just works. Of course, other set ups might not! The mighty range on the MG4 extended gives plenty of wriggle room. Might ask for a test drive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back