Extended Range Trophy

lfc958

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Anyone else ordered the Trophy ER (77KW) ?

It will soon be a His and Hers Red Trophy household. His = ER, Hers = LR.

Wa tempted to go for XPower being same price, but personally could not get past it only having the 64KW battery and a most likely real work range of around 210 miles or 21 driven silly.

Wa tempted to go for XPower being same price, but personally could not get past it only having the 64KW battery and a most likely real work range of around 210 miles or 21 driven silly.
I think that's the right choice, nice upgrade in performance and lots more range. The XPower would be a nice toy but could get frustrating with the limited range.

Did wonder whether to wait for the ER when I ordered my Trophy but decided I wanted it as soon as I could so went with the LR. If I was getting one now I think I would go for the ER.
When MG brought the LR out they announced that there were no plans for the 77kw, so wife went with with the 64kw , We both would have preferred the ER, and as dealer manager said when I was discussing finance , if they had announced the 77kw at same time lots would have waited for it ( us included , sounds like you were in the same decision loop ).
Anyone else think that SE SR sales will tail off and eventually be dropped due to its poor range ?.

I would doubt it. I think there is a sizeable market for people who seldom do more than say 150 miles in a single day, and who will get home happily in an SR and charge it for tomorrow. If you only do a longer trip two or three times a year, and you're not in a hurry on these trips, it's hard to justify an extra £2,500 for a car. Also, the SR is an easier battery to manage, and not having cobalt in it is another plus if that's the sort of thing you're concerned about.

SR, LR & Trophy models covers the vast majority of customers requirements in the EV market. Some just want a straight forward car to cover short / mid length journeys, some want a straight forward car to cover short / mid & longer journeys with less charging requirements. Some want a Trophy with high levels of tech which also covers short / mid & longer journeys with less charging.
All customers will purchase according to their requirements which justifies their spend in their opinion and why MG offers such variety.

Don't deny that the SR will have a market, as there is always a relatively small market for 'small" cars (as in range in this case).
Given todays of wanting bigger (Not necessarily requiring) and better is where my reasoning for potential declining sales.

I think this model could turn out to be really popular, over 300 mile range, 6 sec odd 0-60 and keeps the boot capacity, I believe.

The XPower will be fun but the range will be a concern and boot is really small, 289l.
Definitely not a family trip car

I'm waiting on the 64kWh Trophy in Dynamic Red and judging by your avatar, it looks like we've both gone for that colour due to our club support :) Looking forward to my 1st road trip in it and a game at Anfield.

I think this model could turn out to be really popular, over 300 mile range, 6 sec odd 0-60 and keeps the boot capacity, I believe.

The XPower will be fun but the range will be a concern and boot is really small, 289l.
Definitely not a family trip car
Yeah I agree , but it is being sold as a performance car and as such it's not really practical as a family hatchback.

Don't deny that the SR will have a market, as there is always a relatively small market for 'small" cars (as in range in this case).
Given todays of wanting bigger (Not necessarily requiring) and better is where my reasoning for potential declining sales.

Well, there's not a lot of point arguing about the relative size of the market in the future, we're all just guessing. But the SR is the same size as the other MG4s, physically, so it isn't a small car in the sense usually meant. It may be that lots of people will decide to go for range they don't actually need, but the ability to charge at home really turns old preconceptions on their head.

Well, there's not a lot of point arguing about the relative size of the market in the future, we're all just guessing. But the SR is the same size as the other MG4s, physically, so it isn't a small car in the sense usually meant. It may be that lots of people will decide to go for range they don't actually need, but the ability to charge at home really turns old preconceptions on their head.
We considered the SR but because we fairly often do a 200 mile trip and because we wanted some of the extras with the Trophy, we ended up with that. SR is a fine car at great value, good for many people.

That's the thing. I seldom do the 200 mile trip, and longer than that even more rarely. I couldn't justify £2,500 for range I might need just a few days a year. I think a lot of people are in this position.

In particular, the SR might be very popular as a second car. If the family has a longer-range car (ICE or EV) that can be used for longer trips, leaving the SR at home, then it makes perfect sense.

In particular, the SR might be very popular as a second car. If the family has a longer-range car (ICE or EV) that can be used for longer trips, leaving the SR at home, then it makes perfect sense.
The SR would be a great car for that. We previously had an old BMW i3 which would only manage around 70 miles. It was absolutely fine as a local car and we used it all the time for that, using our ancient Peugeot for longer journeys. The SR would be so much more useful than that.

Having said that, we bought a Trophy! We do a 350+ mile trip to Scotland 5 or 6 times a year and a 180 mile trip to Cardiff a similar amount so it made sense that, if we were going to change the i3 for a different ev, that we choose one that would make it relatively easy to do those trips in the ev if we wanted to. My original pre-order was for a SE LR as that made most financial sense to us, but when it came to it we decided that we'd miss the heated seats we'd been used to in the i3 and there were a few other extras that were a bonus. It seemed an expensive jump from LR to Trophy for what you got, but we've never bought a new (or even relatively new) car before so we decided to treat ourselves!

The SR was perfect for us. My bladder doesn't last any longer! And now we've a tiny human we need to stop even more frequently.

But I figure that the 4 is naturally future proofed - the current LR will become the SR and so on.

I saw somebody suggesting the ER was overpriced and whilst my initial reaction was to disagree, I could see the point. Difference between SR and LR is half of LR and ER. I know there's other additions, but the bigger battery is what people are paying for

The SR would be a great car for that. We previously had an old BMW i3 which would only manage around 70 miles. It was absolutely fine as a local car and we used it all the time for that, using our ancient Peugeot for longer journeys. The SR would be so much more useful than that.

Having said that, we bought a Trophy! We do a 350+ mile trip to Scotland 5 or 6 times a year and a 180 mile trip to Cardiff a similar amount so it made sense that, if we were going to change the i3 for a different ev, that we choose one that would make it relatively easy to do those trips in the ev if we wanted to. My original pre-order was for a SE LR as that made most financial sense to us, but when it came to it we decided that we'd miss the heated seats we'd been used to in the i3 and there were a few other extras that were a bonus. It seemed an expensive jump from LR to Trophy for what you got, but we've never bought a new (or even relatively new) car before so we decided to treat ourselves!

Absolutely. I think there is a market for all three versions (five if you count the new ER and the X-power), and even possibly for an SR Trophy. Different people have different requirements. I doubt that any of them will be discontinued because of lack of sales.

I couldn't possibly have managed with an SR - or even possibly any EV! - in the days when I used to do 430 miles in six hours, leaving Sussex after work and arriving in Lanarkshire about midnight. Now, though, the SR is ideal. I don't envisage actually needing to charge away from home until Christmas, when I go to Yorkshire. (I could have done that trip without charging in an LR, but £2,500 extra just to save spending an hour at Killington Lake once a year? Srsly, no.)

I have done a trip to Yorkshire already though, to get used to how it all works before tackling it in winter. I'm also (in another thread) planning a trip to Sussex and back next month. But that latter has actually come about in part because I'm finding the car so relaxing to drive that I'll opt for it rather than EasyJet. I've got all day, I won't be in any particular hurry.

So really, for maybe 350 days a year the SR is perfect for me. An easier battery to manage than the LR, no cobalt, just charge it up in my garage and no more 18-mile round trips to get petrol, or running calculations in my head that say "yes it's midnight but you have to stop here for petrol because if you go all the way home you'll won't have enough left to get anywhere else." And for the remaining days, these are special trips, and if I have to make one more charging stop than I'd have had to make with an LR battery, it's no skin off my nose.

Last edited:
Went for the SR as it hit the right PCP amount, could have stretched to the LR but I work from home, my mrs walks to work and most we do is about 5 miles a day. At the weekend generally don’t use the car unless we go to the father in law caravan that’s 60 miles round trip but that’s about 2/3 time a year…. Longest trip would be to barrow in Furness for family but been once in the last 4 years as they normally come to us.

I still sometimes think I should have gone for the LR for the extra range 😂

Went for the SR as it hit the right PCP amount, could have stretched to the LR but I work from home, my mrs walks to work and most we do is about 5 miles a day. At the weekend generally don’t use the car unless we go to the father in law caravan that’s 60 miles round trip but that’s about 2/3 time a year…. Longest trip would be to barrow in Furness for family but been once in the last 4 years as they normally come to us.

I still sometimes think I should have gone for the LR for the extra range 😂
Excellent. You will always have the satisfaction of paying a low price and charging to 100% all the time does offset some of the range concerns. Hope you enjoy it.

It's odd how range "anxiety" can be quite unrelated to the actual situation. I find myself wanting to top the car up when there's no real need for it, "just in case". I still haven't quite come to a regular habit of managing this. I think some of the exhortations that "even the SR battery will degrade more if you charge it to 100%" are getting to me even though MG obviously think this effect can be disregarded.

On Saturday my car was sitting in the garage on 70-something %. A friend phoned and suggested going to the new Indiana Jones film on Sunday evening. The cinema is a round trip of just under 80 miles. I had 140-something miles of range, but I still went out to the garage and plugged in the granny charger. I mean who knows what might happen! (Interestingly, when I woke the car up to set off the 100% charge was actually predicting exactly 218 miles of range!) Got back on 56% with 110 miles of range. (The film was very good by the way.)

I'm torn between simply treating the car like my phone and plugging it in whenever I get the chance, and worrying that leaving it sitting for days at 100% isn't the best way to treat the battery no matter what MG says. I think it's this dilemma that surfaces as "range anxiety".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back