Extending Slow charger lead

abucksdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This might be a silly question, but ...
I have the slow charger that came with the car, but I don't have any sockets close enough to plug it into.
Can I use my Type 2 cable as an "extension lead" between the charger and the car?

(Id rather use some excess solar to charge the car, than to give it away to the National Grid🤣)

You can use a good quality 13amp extension lead there's quite a few posts elsewhere about what to use. I occasionally use one from Screwfix, just do not use a coiled lead, it must be fully extended and rated for continuous 10 amp plus.

Just ordered one of these.for that very use case.

This might be a silly question, but ...
I have the slow charger that came with the car, but I don't have any sockets close enough to plug it into.
Can I use my Type 2 cable as an "extension lead" between the charger and the car?
Short answer, No.

The pins in the cables are to short to make contact with the other end.

Don't use a standard domestic extension lead. Better to use an industry-strength extension lead from socket outlet to the EVSE. They will be waterproof and last forever. A good, reliable, source is Tough Leads, who have extensions specifically designed for EV charging.

It's worth noting that the current UK wiring regulations say you shouldn't use an extension cable. But sometimes (as in my own case) you don’t have an option because the standard unit simply won't reach.

Ideally, also get their regulation compliant EV socket outlet (designed for continuous higher current use)

Get the right stuff, and sleep without any concerns.

Check out this guy too, might be good value for money, drop them a line and see if it works out

The pins in the cables are to short to make contact with the other end.
This is by design. The people designing the cable standards decided that allowing chaining like this should not be allowed.

There is actually a good reason for this. Each type 2 cable has a resistor at the end that tells the vehicle what maximum current it can safely handle. You could plug a high current cable at the end of a lower rated cable, which would allow the vehicle to draw too much current for the first cable. This is a fire hazard.

In the particular case of extending a granny "charger" with a type 2 cable, the typical type 2 cable is rated at 32A, way more than the granny charger can handle. But in this case, the pilot signal from the granny would override the cable maximum current. So the only way a fire hazard could exist is if you have say a non tethered 32A EVSE (AC "charger"), you plug in a 16A cable, then extend that with a 32A cable. Then the pilot signal and final cable both say 32 amps is allowed, and the vehicle could easily overload the 16A cable. It would be a rare case, but the designers didn't want to take that risk.

There is also the issue of how waterproof the cable to cable connection would be, and the arcing that would happen if the cable was disconnected under load. Type 2 cables should be locked or tethered at both ends to prevent disconnection under load. The cable to cable connection, if allowed, would not be locked.

Much easier to use a standard 13A mains extension, any should carry 10A with no problem. Position the plug/socket under cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much easier to use a standard 13a mains extension, any should carry 10A with no problem. Position the plug/socket under cover.
True, and if it works for the individual, that’s fine.

I don’t want to come across as one of those know-it-alls (I don't) but the cheapest outdoor lead from Screwfix is £20.45. A 'proper' EV extension from Tough Leads is £27.99 (5 metre). It's not that much extra.

A cheap one from a supermarket would work for a short while. They might be able to take the peak load, but we're talking 10 amps continuously for several hours, and perhaps several days each week. Eventually, something has to give.

I save ££££ each month on my charging, so judged that even £50 for a 'proper' extension would be a good investment. I guess it's all down to personal judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom