External Noise Generator

I turned mine off permanently, I found it too instrusive in the cabin. There was testing done in the UK that proved modern ICE are so quiet now that cars with an ICE make comparable noise to EV's at low speeds (tyre roar etc)
I've never personally had an issue with people not hearing the car approach.
What happens if you are involved in a collision with a pedestrian after permanently turning the AVAS off, i.e. police accident investigators and insurance company. I'm sure the ambulance chasers would have a field day!

I’m not sure how the law stands as far as this is concerned, but surely if you are given the option to disable the function in the cars settings (albeit temporary) does that not suggest it can‘t be manadatory? If it was mandatory why give the user a setting to disable it?

Interesting. My 2019 Tesla m3 doesn’t have it at all. I wonder exiting EU makes an impact?

I've had a few people not know I was behind them, but they're usually distracted by the phone/music/kids etc (or were just being completely ignorant). I know it definitely makes a noise because my mate has commented a few times when I've dropped her off at night. Personal thought is that the sound EVs make (when they've not been disabled) is unusual, and not what we've got used to over the years. We know what a "regular" car sounds like. Many of us will have to learn the new sounds... others could do with reading the pedestrian section of the Highway Code 🤬
That's just it, there is no legislation as to what it should sound like and no information for the public. Fiat's new 500E plays orchestral music!
If the sound sounded like an idling ICE then maybe it would be better but as you also say pedestrians are so distracted nowadays.
I would personally prefer to have a button for a pedestrian friendly horn - the Ineoes Grenadier has a bicycle horn button to alert pedestrians and think that's perfect. It's only a sound you associate with a bike that's travelling towards you so you pay attention.
There's a bloke on YouTube who fitted a train horn and also a "polite" horn for pedestrians and it was really good in action.

I listened out today, and I really cannot hear any noise at low speeds, especially when backing out of the car park at the local supermarket. This where people are likely to be distracted pushing trolleys and kids.

Is it switchable? If so mine must be switched off, if not it does not work...........

If there ever was the chance to make it sound like KITT, they have missed their chance.

Wooom woom...wooom woom....

Shouldn't be too hard to mod something external to the alert speaker that would play custom sounds.

I was surprised when I heard that the car made a noise at low speed to warn pedestrians. As it turns out I have had mine disabled since I bought the car. Mind you, we don't have many pedestrians to worry about - although might scare the kangaroos off the road.

If you disable it it automatically reinstates the next time the ignition is switched on. You have to disable it for every trip (unless you unplug the speaker)

If you disable it it automatically reinstates the next time the ignition is switched on. You have to disable it for every trip (unless you unplug the speaker)
No, not the case. Mine does not make any noise at low speed. Forward or reverse. I reverse it into the garage every day with not a peep. I will re-engage everything I turned off to see if it does make a noise, but I am beginning to doubt it.

No, not the case. Mine does not make any noise at low speed. Forward or reverse. I reverse it into the garage every day with not a peep. I will re-engage everything I turned off to see if it does make a noise, but I am beginning to doubt it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210723-021343~2.png
    Screenshot_20210723-021343~2.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 201
I was that confident , I went and checked - you are right the pedestrian alert was turned on. The information in my book is on page 133 (basically says the same). But all that aside, it has never made a noise. Next question - do you need a pedestrian for it to operate. Not indicated in the book. If so, maybe I have never been near a pedestrian whilst travelling at low speed. If a pedestrian is not required, then I repeat, mine has never made a noise, forward or reverse.

I checked the Car Settings today. Pedestrian Aware is ON, but I, nor my wife have ever heard it. I might check the connection to the speaker, ref the earlier Podcast..:

I think it’s 56 db and a whisper type sound. I could only hear it in an alleyway

I know it has been a long time for this thread, but was listening out today when in a quiet car park and I can’t here a thing on the facelift version ZS EV Trophy.
Same with mine. My hearing isn’t the best in world, but I can’t hear anything. The MG5 you definitely can hear it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom