Face lift

DON

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all does anyone know if the facelift MG5 is coming to the UK if so when thanks

I was really close to buying the long range exclusive spec MG5 two weeks ago. There was a lot of confusion from the dealer over its ability to have a tow bar fitted, which I think comes from the refresh being able to. The fact there are no tow bars type approved for the LR Exclusive suggests it currently can’t tow.

Seeing the refresh had the 500kg towing rating, and in Europe catalog images showing a fitted tow bar. I will wait.

I wonder if the delay with the UK swapping to the refresh is that there are already thousands produced. Or simply the right hand drive parts for the refresh aren’t ready yet. The sooner production swaps the better, because I want one.

Osbourne effect of faster AC charging, app connectivity, load out, never really had with cars. Wait six months and you get a much improved car, technology moving so fast with EV’s.

I am hopefully picking my MG5 LR this month and did contemplate waiting for the refreshed model. However I actually prefer the look externally of the current model, which may be a rarified view. Internally I like the new model better but it doesn’t represent a huge jump for me. Therefore I’m happy to go ahead with the current model, especially as the 0% finance and pricing may not be available.

Also as you say, EVs are constantly changing so accepting that change is going to happen regardless of when you purchase is prob good for the mind 😁

I actually prefer the look externally of the current model
As do I! And I'm glad to hear it's not just me that thinks this way.

My MG5 is "on order", likely to be delivered in March 2022 so I did wonder whether to wait for the "new" version. But, having seen images of the outside I was not especially impressed. Not sure about the interior (the repositioning of the ICE/SATNAV screen seems like a good move) but otherwise..??

I currently have an MG6 TL so the siting of that screen (in the same position as the MG5) is something I'm now quite used to and certainly don't find to be a problem.

I've just ordered a LR Excite on lease. For me it's still the newest car I've ever had by 10 years so quite happy with the current model. Will last me 4 years for sure. Will upgrade after that

As do I! And I'm glad to hear it's not just me that thinks this way.

My MG5 is "on order", likely to be delivered in March 2022 so I did wonder whether to wait for the "new" version. But, having seen images of the outside I was not especially impressed. Not sure about the interior (the repositioning of the ICE/SATNAV screen seems like a good move) but otherwise..??

I currently have an MG6 TL so the siting of that screen (in the same position as the MG5) is something I'm now quite used to and certainly don't find to be a problem.
Wow that's a long wait, unless it's deliberate to get the new 22 reg.

Two weeks ago, I was told possibly by April 2022 for delivery of the current LR exclusive spec. But also that it could be a lot sooner, by December. Dealers don’t seem to be getting good delivery info from MGUK or China.

This is why the refresh then became so much more appealing. It should surely be in right hand drive production by April?!

If the wait is so long and then production swaps to the refresh, what will happen to existing orders for the older model?

I thought I'd heard that the facelifted version has yet to be homolugated for the UK market but has been approved for European sales already? I woudn't expect that process to be particularly quick tbh. I don't know though, maybe a more "ITK" member could clarify that?

FWIW, I didn't think waiting for the as yet undated release of the facelifted LR was worth the wait. It might be April/May, it might be October/November. I'd imagine nearer the latter than the former (primarily for the new Reg to be coincident with release) and I wasn't prepared to wait an entire year longer whn I ordered my LR.

Two weeks ago, I was told possibly by April 2022 for delivery of the current LR exclusive spec. But also that it could be a lot sooner, by December. Dealers don’t seem to be getting good delivery info from MGUK or China.

This is why the refresh then became so much more appealing. It should surely be in right hand drive production by April?!

If the wait is so long and then production swaps to the refresh, what will happen to existing orders for the older model?
I would have thought the older models spec will be still delivered. I imagine the new model will be a different price.

I would have thought the older models spec will be still delivered. I imagine the new model will be a different price.
Yes agreed, if you ordered the current model that’s what you would have delivered. The other consideration with price is that at moment you can get 0% finance but that may well change as has happened with the new ZS (now 4.9%). I think you have to take every vehicle on its merits and make a decision based on your needs.

Yes agreed, if you ordered the current model that’s what you would have delivered. The other consideration with price is that at moment you can get 0% finance but that may well change as has happened with the new ZS (now 4.9%). I think you have to take every vehicle on its merits and make a decision based on your needs.
I took the Affinity scheme when I ordered mine so I'm paying 4.9% anyway, but it still works out cheaper than the 0%. But yes, you're right. I'm too impatient and although i want the updated MG5 LR, I want a new car before September 2022!

I would have thought that giving the UK the bodywork facelift would be relatively simple for MG to do. The same with any connectivity. The revised interior, with the new dashboard etc would be more expensive for MG to bring into production.

Wow that's a long wait, unless it's deliberate to get the new 22 reg.
No, it's not "deliberate" I'm afraid. Simply the problem for the dealer to actually get the car!

They had it on order as a unit to go into their showroom even before I placed my order.
They showed me the "official" MG Dealer web page which shows when vehicles on order are expected to be delivered. Currently it shows as March 8th!

I'm "happy" that it will be a 22 reg but slightly worried that the value of my current car, an MG6 TL, might go rather seriously down in the intervening period and so require me to put rather more forward as a deposit.

Hi all does anyone know if the facelift MG5 is coming to the UK if so when thanks
I've had my MG5 long range exclusive for about a month now and loving it, I did consider waiting bi
I am hopefully picking my MG5 LR this month and did contemplate waiting for the refreshed model. However I actually prefer the look externally of the current model, which may be a rarified view. Internally I like the new model better but it doesn’t represent a huge jump for me. Therefore I’m happy to go ahead with the current model, especially as the 0% finance and pricing may not be available.

Also as you say, EVs are constantly changing so accepting that change is going to happen regardless of when you purchase is prob good for the m

Also as you say, EVs are constantly changing so accepting that change is going to happen regardless of when you purchase is prob good for the mind 😁
I agree they will keep updating constantly and like you I also prefer the look of this model.
I've had my long range exclusive for about two months now and loving it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom