Fast chargers advice Portishead Bristol, M4 west South Wales

Gwynfor Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be travelling home from Bristol Airport early hours Wednesday.
I will need to fast charge to get me home.
I have a type 2 socket. MG ZS ev.
Could someone advise please best place to stop to fast charge?
I charged on arrival at Bristol Airport but it was a slow charge and only have a range of 70 miles and need to return to Swansea.
I'm very anxious as it will be the middle of night, we are likely to be very tired so speed is the essence.
Many thanks
Gwyn

As mentioned on reply to your previous post for outward trip Instavolt always look good. Check their app but Portishead, Cribbs Causeway, Newport are reliable. Magor services Gridserve EH as been working recently. Check PlugShare and Zapmap for others en route that take your fancy. Have a safe journey. Perhaps easiest thing is to top up further at the airport?

Instavolt are credit card and I presume debit card (never used one). You can register on their app or just swipe To start and swipe to stop. Always worked for just about everyone. Just checked A better route planner and depending what part of Swansea you are in it is an 84 mile trip. You can put your trip into ABPR and also your state of charge (say 40%) and will give info.

Thanks for your reply.
Presumably I can pay by debit card or must I pre pay on an app
Hi, I have used the Instavolt rapid chargers at Portishead now twice on my way down the m5 and as with all the Instavolt chargers they are super quick and easy to use and are (were), 40p per kwh.

Just swipe a normal bank card and pop into wetherspoons just around the corner for 40 min or so, job done, (I have the MG 5).

My experience with other rapid chargers Geniepoint, Podpoint, Osprey has not been good overall so now when I am not charging at home (hypervolt), I will always head for the Instavolt as its so much less stress.

There are other chargers around the corner in the marina (revive), but I tried these just to see what happened and couldn't get them to work plus there is a £1 standing charge for these so don't risk it, especially if you are on a tight schedule.

Couple of pics enclosed

Steve

Attachments

• 20210711_203335.jpg
    20210711_203335.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210711_203326.jpg
    20210711_203326.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210716_195245.jpg
    20210716_195245.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 116
Thank you for the information.
I was hoping there would be an Instavolt charger on the M4 corridor, South Wales but unfortunately not.

There are Instavolt chargers 10 mins or so off the M4 at Newport Costa and Bannantynes both in same area plus at Cardiff Bannantynes.

Down load Instavolt app to see UK map of sites.

There are Instavolt chargers 10 mins or so off the M4 at Newport Costa and Bannantynes both in same area plus at Cardiff Bannantynes.

Down load Instavolt app to see UK map of sites.
Just to let you know that the one at bannatyne gym cardiff is only for use by people who use the gym, you have to actually go in to reception to get an access code

i used it a few months ago without a problem. Did tell them I was there out of courtesy. Did not realise anything had changed.
Ok, that's fine, I asked someone who was using it a few months back and they said u have to go into reception as it is on the gym property not in a public car park.

The same protocol in place at Bannantynes in Newport. Out of courtesy let them know. Shepton Mallet Bannantynes is a good useful one too for cross country travel.The bonus is you can use the gym cafe. Instavolt have good tie ups.

The same protocol in place at Bannantynes in Newport. Out of courtesy let them know. Shepton Mallet Bannantynes is a good useful one too for cross country travel.The bonus is you can use the gym cafe. Instavolt have good tie ups.
Newport has removed there car plate cameras, so no chance of parking fines. But they do lock their gate! I know, as I'm a member of that gym... 😅
Also Greggs is only a 2min walk away, so great to place it on charge and get a bake. Far cheaper than costas food.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom